New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

A. undulatus, plant contest, put all questions,comments, pictures in here

Started by kennyman, September 27, 2007, 06:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnut

Here's mine.  I was concerned about it for a while, but there have been quite a few leaves on it and it also has a stalk soaring to the surface.  It hasn't flowered yet, but it just reached the surface today.  I decided to leave a couple of the origional leaves on it so the plant wouldn't go into complete shock, but I think it's coming around.

[attachment deleted by admin]

dan2x38

Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

babblefish1960

Quote from: dan2x38 on November 09, 2007, 11:16:06 PM
Is this contest still on?
Are you serious?   The contest plants are brought to the May meeting and voted on, so I cannot for the life of me imagine why the contest would not still be on.

Nerine

Patience!! It's not May yet! Don't be wishing for spring too soon ;)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

dan2x38

Quote from: babblefish1960 on November 09, 2007, 11:17:31 PM
Are you serious?   The contest plants are brought to the May meeting and voted on, so I cannot for the life of me imagine why the contest would not still be on.

Of course I am serious, "Did I make a typo?" LMAO No has the same plant, mine is different!
Voltaire:

succinctfish

There may be some variations, but they are all aponogeton, so they can be judged accordingly :)

dan2x38

Voltaire:

BigDaddy

What makes you think your plant isn't the same as the one the rest of us have Dan?

dan2x38

I guess I'll have to post a pic. Mine has almost 2 ft. leaves with a bronze colouring with green & no center shout. More leaves are coming out. Nathan's is like others that have been described and posted pics of. His has greenish leaves & the center shout is present. Does anyone elses look like mine? No matter because I like it and it is growing quite well for me. :) Nice plant!
Voltaire:

Aquaviewer

I collected some pollen off the flower from another members plant and crossed it with mine.  A couple of rows of seed have developed so far.  Once they mature, I'll plant some to see if I can get any to sprout.

Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma

dan2x38

Quote from: Aquaviewer on November 18, 2007, 07:14:48 PM
I collected some pollen off the flower from another members plant and crossed it with mine.  A couple of rows of seed have developed so far.  Once they mature, I'll plant some to see if I can get any to sprout.

Very KEWL can't wait to hear more about that project... :) nice job!
Voltaire:

BigDaddy

I did the same thing.. but with the one plant.  I have 3 shoots coming up from mine now.

Lucie

Dan, don,t get discouraged, the flowering stem only appeared 2 days ago on mine... but the thin stem is already 24" long...
The leaves on my plant are only 8-10" long, and I have about 20 leaves. If I can only keep the snails away from it :)

BigDaddy

Cool development

One of the many shoots coming off my plant started disintegrating.  I took the still green seeds that were developing on the shoot and carefully plucked them off and placed them in a tank just floating on the surface.

Today, at least one of the seeds as started germinating.

So, for those of you interested in AHAP... this plant will give you the potential to reach CAOAC's Expert and Master Aquatic Horticulturalist level as seeds and sexual reproduction are pre-requisites for each level.

dan2x38

To balance my tank after a failed attempt at EI dosing it was blacked-out for 5 days. I unveiled it today. Besides the plants being a little thin from having pruned algae covered leaves my A. undulatus had grown the center shoot. It sprung up to the top and is floating on top of the water. It is doing very well with many ruffled leaves 2' long a nice bronze/green colour.
Voltaire:

dan2x38

Here is a picture of my plant is it the same as others?

Voltaire:

BigDaddy

dan2x38

Quote from: BigDaddy on November 27, 2007, 09:03:35 PM
It looks just like the one in my tank dan.

OK KEWL I kept getting the msg. mine was different some how... suffering from uniqueness I guess...  :D

PS- missed you last night?
Voltaire:

RossW

Looks like mine but mine is smaller and has dead/algea covered leaves.

kennyman

Your plant looks nice and tall and healthy Dan. Mine looks to be quite a bit shorter, but no co2 and 1.5 wpg seems to keep most of plants from growing very much at all  :P