New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aquarium 101.

Started by pminister, October 12, 2008, 03:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saltcreep

Quote from: RossW on December 17, 2008, 02:08:25 PM
I am not 100% sure what $5 item you are speaking of.  Could you be so kind as to provide a link?

Thanks,
Ross

I had a quick look online but I suspect the product is so inconsequential (cheap) that it didn't make the website or catalogue. If you're familiar with BA Kanata there is a sales rack containing things like silicone sealant, long gloves, scrubber pads and the like. If you stood in front of the huge tank which is parallel to the rack of HOB filters and look to your right, it should be right there. The scraper itself has a handle about 16" or so long (green, I think) with a plastic blade thingy at the end. There is a slip/cover which goes over the scraper end for protetction. If you remove that slip you'll see that the scraper actually separates into two parts. That two-part sandwich is what holds the razor blade in place. It's designed for those old style double-edge razor blades. Not very good pics but they'll give you an idea what you're looking for.

[attachment deleted by admin]

RossW

Saltcreep, thank you very much for the explanation and pics.  It is really appreciated.  I need to get me a scraper and I now know which one!

Saltcreep

Quote from: RossW on December 17, 2008, 07:05:18 PM
Saltcreep, thank you very much for the explanation and pics.  It is really appreciated.  I need to get me a scraper and I now know which one!

You're welcome. The one I replaced when I bought this one had lasted over 25 years.

dan2x38

Quote from: pminister on December 17, 2008, 02:39:12 PM
What i bought yesterday along with my light was "Seachem Flourish Comprehensive", which is micro nutrients to what you said as well as what it says on the bottles.

There is no silver bullet for everything. The Comprehensive has a little of everything in it so you are just supplimenting the natural nitrogen components in the water coloumn created by your fish/food - like Charlie said. Use it - it will help. You have easy growing plants they are not demanding.

Like Charlie said it is all about balance. There will be lots of trail and error and then more error... ;) You can read and read and read but doing is what really counts. Grab plants at the auction and try them best way to learn is hands on.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

pminister

Quote from: dan2x38 on December 17, 2008, 10:12:13 PM
There is no silver bullet for everything

Like Charlie said it is all about balance. There will be lots of trail and error and then more error... ;) You can read and read and read but doing is what really counts. Grab plants at the auction and try them best way to learn is hands on.

Gotta luv the honest response here...........i thank you all for that and every bit helps. guess i will carry on with my initial plan. can't wait till my tank turns into a lil aquatic jungle.

pminister

Hey People,

Question Of The Day

Having snails randomly appear in your tank is it a good or bad thing? So far i have seen two, which i took out. But this morning i saw one sitting on my water wisteria just chilling there.

My setup is simple:
==============
10g tank, hob filter, temp at 77*F, got mollies, swordtails, platys, and one CAE, regular substrate, and dose with 1 cap full seachem flourish comprehensive once a week with every water change.

water quality the past two weeks has been ammonia:0.0ppm, nitrite 0.0ppm, nitrate: 0-5ppm, ph: 7.6 ppm. i do have quiet a bit of diatoms buid up, though that will be taken care of by tommorow.

dan2x38

Couple snails are fine. If you see to many usually can control by reducing feedings be careful to not over feed your fish.
Diatoms are common in a new tank. A main cause is not enough NO3 in ratio to PO4. How much water to change each time?
Voltaire:

pminister

Quote from: dan2x38 on January 10, 2009, 04:19:30 PM
Couple snails are fine. If you see to many usually can control by reducing feedings be careful to not over feed your fish.
Diatoms are common in a new tank. A main cause is not enough NO3 in ratio to PO4. How much water to change each time?

I just found it odd, as how the snails randomly appeared in my tank. Anyhoo guess i should reduce the feeding, but they look hungry all the time i cant bare the guilt. lol. They keep licking the glass, plants, or ornaments in the tank. Guess that is how they live. lol.

My water changes are typicall 10% per week, or to a maximum for 20% WC if the water very dirty. The past four water changes, i did forgot the clean the glasses for diatom and general dirt or mildew. During the water changes, i also take out the filter cartridge to give it a clean with the water i took out.

When topping water back in, i treat it with half a cap of prime. With half a cap of, flourish comprehensive.

I think that sums it all up.

New question of the day as well.....what causes your pH to drop? Reason i ask is before i did a water change today, i tested the water quality. All was good but the pH dropped to 7.0 not sure if that is good or not.

dan2x38

Well diatoms are often present in newer tanks it should balance out. You don't need to clean the filter each water change. What do you mean exactly pH drops?
Voltaire:

pminister

well today.....when i tested the water for pH it is typically 7.6ppm blue. But today it was a lil greenish tinge between 6.8-7.0 ppm, unless my eyes were bugging out. But that is what it appeared, i will definitely check again in 3-4 days to see what the pH level is again.

Good thing is the plants are doing great in the tank.........u have no idea how antsy i am to have the 20 gallon tank cycled. So i can transfer all the fishes, and plants to the new tank. And oooooooooooh nelly watch out.............i am going to stock the living heeeebiiiijeeeeeeeeebbbbbeeeeeeees out of that tank  :D

But two more weeks is my countdown.  ;D

Thanks.

dan2x38

pH is OK don't try to change it. It can drop if you have high organic decomposition like fish food & plant matter. The tap water might have changed a lot of weather changes lately. The city can change the water chemistry to counter something.
Voltaire:

pminister

How do i tell if my diy co2 is working ?

- i know one way to tell is by checking the pH before the setup, and then testing it later to find out the change.
- or seeing if bubbles appear out the tube.

so it has been 24hrs. n nothing !

mixture
-1/4 yeast
-2 cups sugar
-2l bottle

[attachment deleted by admin]

dan2x38

Quote from: pminister on February 02, 2009, 07:51:44 PM
How do i tell if my diy co2 is working ?

- i know one way to tell is by checking the pH before the setup, and then testing it later to find out the change.
- or seeing if bubbles appear out the tube.

so it has been 24hrs. n nothing !

mixture
-1/4 yeast
-2 cups sugar
-2l bottle
With just one bottle you should add at least 3/4 tsp of yeast. Here is a diagram of my DIY rig: http://ovas.ca/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=1073 This way it protects against yeast getting into the tank and actas a bubble counter. In my set-up mix up one bottle then a week later mix the 2nd up. This way there is always a new mixture every week. It helps with a stable CO2 output. You can't overdose CO2 with a yeast generator.
Voltaire:

pminister

two questions? are that many check valves necessary, i guess safety first. lol. by the way....why add water in the 2nd bottle? like the empty bottle i have.

also if i have a setup like mine. for the mixture on 3/4 yeast + 2 cups sugar. how long will that last me?

oh another thing. when i add the mix should i mix the bottle. or just let it be.

dan2x38

The issue with yeast generators is they are unstable. They produce CO2 but they drop off so it is not stable for long. With a couple bottles you can maintain a higher stable level with the right mixtures. I start the first bottle with a mixture. The 2nd bottle with just water so it is not empty this makes it easier to pressurize. After a week mix the 2nd bottle. After every 14 days I replaced the mixture. So every week a new mixture is added in. each bottle was still creating CO2 but the output was dropping off so it created low levels of CO2.

The centre bottle or gas exchanger prevents yeast from leaking into the tank if there is a mishap. It is under pressure. If you loosen the cap on one of the CO2 bottles it will push water back through the airline so water will squirt all over. The check valve prevents the back pressure.

In a mixture if you use 1/2 tsp of yeast in plain treated water it will create CO2 but at a more gradual level and drops off slower. Increase the yeast to 3/4 tsp it will produce yeast faster but it will drop off faster. So 1 tsp will create a higher output faster and it drops off much faster. They will all last 21 daysand longer but it is the output you need as stable. If you add some baking soda to the water because yeast likes hard water it will give it a better environment too. So using 1 tsp. of yeast will create a faster output. Using 2 bottles with the higher mixture gives you the best chance at a good stable output.

The other thing you are making alcohol. Bakers yeast with stands alcohol close to 12%. Champagne yeast with stands alcohol to 18%. I used champagne yeast with 2 bottles, soda, 1 tsp yeast, 2 cups sugar and activated the yeast before adding. I was able to maintain close to 24ppm CO2 which is damn good. After awhile I wanted more plants so I started using more light and ferts but ended up with BBA. The cause is usually fluctuating CO2 or low levels. I went to 3 bottles so every 5 days I was adding a new mixture no bottle went longer than 15 days. It was now to much work so I went pressurized.
Voltaire:

pminister

This is turning science into an art form almost. Yeah i had a mishap few seconds ago, when i went to add more yeast in the mix. Except the back flow came through my tank water, and the check valve was busted. lol.

Wow. seems quiet the work with 2-3 bottles. Not to mention sounds expensive in the long run if you, kinda think about it. Maybe or maybe not.

But anyhoo i will give it a try for a month, and see how it goes. Try the mixture, and setup you mentioned. Seems like a solid idea. unlike mine  :'( If not i will resort to Flourish:Excel. lol. Or maybe even pressurized....dhun dhun dhun.

Man this Flora Glo light 2800k, sure has a funky yellow tinge to it. Kinda neat.

dan2x38

It is not expensive at all. If using bakers yeast a bottle is under $5 it lasts quite some time. Five lb. bag of sugar lasts for awhile too. Champagne yeast can be bought at the wine making store in South Keys. It is beside the MacDonalds in an old 2 storey house. It is $0.99 per package. I think there was 3 tsp or more in a package. So two packs $2 a month for yeast $2 for sugar. Cheaper than Excel that is for sure. I would not add yeast to an old mixture. You will not have a way to really judge how well it is producing. If you do though dissove the yeast in warm water not over 120* with a spoon full of sugar pinch of baking soda let stand for 10 mins. Stir up again then add that to the bottle.
Voltaire:

pminister

Price of Excel......haha tell me about it. I was inches away from buying, the whole line of Seachem. Glad i didnt though i would have been broke by the end of the purchase, but happy i am trying the diy co2 method.

I was just passing by tank, and saw that the bubbles were coming out the airline tube from the diy co2. I just moved the airline tube into my power filter.

By the way u know how you have water in the second water as a bubble counter/ any gunk ending up in that bottle. Though when the co2 comes into that bottle with water, doesnt the co2 getting mixed into the water would create a slower rate. Or does co2 rise to the top, and come out n into the tank.

Also would the co2 mix still be active or effective, if i remove the mixture/water from the water and say not take the sugar out. But instead just add new water, with new dose of yeast in there ?

Though i would think since i also have a 20 gallon tank, this one bottle system wont work to well........yet there is always part 2 to all this diy work. lol

dan2x38

Quote from: pminister on February 02, 2009, 11:15:42 PM
Price of Excel......haha tell me about it. I was inches away from buying, the whole line of Seachem. Glad i didnt though i would have been broke by the end of the purchase, but happy i am trying the diy co2 method.
Go to SeaChems site and see their recommended dosing chart want to talk about cost. You might see deficiencies as you go along but cross that bridge when you come to it... for now K.I.S.S. If you determine there are deficiencies than maybe some SeaChem products or dry ferts will fit the bill.

I was just passing by tank, and saw that the bubbles were coming out the airline tube from the diy co2. I just moved the airline tube into my power filter.
Explain this futher and/or post pictures of your diffuser. Once you create CO2 dissolving it is the next challenge. That is not as easy as you'd think. A lot of CO2 can be wasted by gassing it out. We take a lot of time and effort to create it we want to use all we produce.

By the way u know how you have water in the second water as a bubble counter/ any gunk ending up in that bottle. Though when the co2 comes into that bottle with water, doesn't the co2 getting mixed into the water would create a slower rate. Or does co2 rise to the top, and come out n into the tank.
Usually there is no gunk if the mixture is right and water level not to high in the CO2 bottles. Even with the gas exchanger to protect from gunk passing into your tank there will be a build-up of a gunk on the diffuser. It is not harmful but will need to be removed periodically. Any CO2 that goes into that container will be gassed out into the airline it has no where else to go. Right?

Also would the co2 mix still be active or effective, if i remove the mixture/water from the water and say not take the sugar out. But instead just add new water, with new dose of yeast in there ?
As I explained alcohol is created. Yeast is killed by alcohol. Why try to save pennies dump it mix a new one. Your looking at $4 to $5 a month.

Though i would think since i also have a 20 gallon tank, this one bottle system wont work to well........yet there is always part 2 to all this diy work. lol
The idea of 2 bottles is stability. When one bottle is starting to slow down on CO2 production the other isn't. You stagger the mixtures so there is always a new mixture every week. Low CO2 levels and fluctuating levels with ferts and lighting is a major cause of algae.

If you want nice plants it is extra work and money. You can find ways to save money like dry ferts, DIY lighting, DIY CO2 but it is still more extensive than a low-tech tank or basic aquarium set-up. Planted tanks also create more work. The enjoyment is from the finished product and for most of us it is a labour of love. It is a hobby - Right? All hobbies take time that is why we get into them. If you want to get around doing the work and cost you might reconsider which direction you want to take your hobby. I say this because if you try short cuts more likely than not you will get algae break outs become discouraged then leave the hobby exclaiming what a waste of money & time!

There is no guarantee you will not get algae because there is a learning curve. Follow the basics you will have the best chance of owning a lush handsome tank you are looking for but be patient. Make changes slowly and one at a time. For me I kept a log so I knew my mixtures which I tweaked until I found what really worked. I logged fert doses, light, algae, steps I took... Good luck
Voltaire:

pminister

Quote from: dan2x38 on February 03, 2009, 08:25:19 AM
The enjoyment is from the finished product and for most of us it is a labour of love. It is a hobby - Right? All hobbies take time that is why we get into them. If you want to get around doing the work and cost you might reconsider which direction you want to take your hobby.
You definitely nailed, that point to the ground. I gotta say on my part that i am jumping grounds here, and there while getting slightly confused with the feeling of being overwhelmed. Guess i kinda forget the K.I.S.S. rule sometimes, when i see all these well setup planted tanks. They just look to good. lol.

Yesterday when i was looking at my tank, saw like 6 different plant types. Some were doing good, some were doing ok. Yet still wasnt sure as to why i, kept on going on. Or as they say get the maximized value, for the hobby i want to acheive for it. Buying lights...oooh watch out. Confused as a door knob.

Yeah i plan on staying low key for a while, and try to take it one step at a time.