New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Gauging interest in regular get togethers

Started by charlie, September 17, 2011, 01:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Hello planted tank hobbyist, is there any interest in a regular gathering for planted tank hobbyist , be it monthly or every 2 months preferably on a weekend , this venture is not intended to market / promote any vendor /product or personal gain either by monetary or other.
The idea here is to meet exchange ideas & issues , trade or sell plants & associated gear one on one with each other, all in the interest of helping & promoting the planted tank hobby, this venture is not intended to be separate to the club but in conjunction with OVAS.
Please indicate in this thread with preference of day, time & monthly or every 2 mths ,& any other suggestions.
Just trying to gauge interest  here to see if we have enough hobbyist.
Thanks

magnosis

I like the idea ! Although it would be tough for me to commit on a regular basis, being fairly occupied on evenings and weekends already.

As far as getting together as a group, every 2 months would be feasible.

As far as exchanging plants, I still favor a web-based registry, one-to-one exchange. Makes it easier to schedule & quicker to get rid of / acquire new plants.

I think both options could coexist nicely though.

Patrick S

Hi Charlie,

I am in during the winter months, but only if there is dim sum on the menu!

Patrick

morrom

I would be down for this, still have a lot to learn and it would seem like a great time to do it. I am away right now till mid Oct and the tank is taking a beating from the algae!!! >:( I am going to need the help.

Trevor

pm

Charlie,

Still learning as I go, but my tank is starting to become a respectable jungle (thanks to the plants of others on this forum... including yourself).  I would be quite interested in meeting once every couple of months.

Anja

I'm interested, but have a time problem for the foreseeable future, which is to say, if something's going on, I'd try to be there, but would have to decide on a case by case basis.
250G (Pond) - Comets, Rosy Reds; 20G Retirement - Congo Tetras, BN, Banjo Cats, Pristellas, Buenos Aires Tetras, Zebra Danios; 25G Pygmy Corys, BN, Green Neons, Assassin Snails, 15G Blue Daisy Ricefish, BN, Betta; 6.6G (Edge) - Diamond Head Tetras, 3G Bloody Mary shrimp, 2G Caridina Cantonensis (tangerine tiger)

charlie

This is looking favorable, with a group of 10 or so to start with.
My suggestion is that we pick a weekend,time & day in October that is good for all intending to come out, from there we can set up another date & place for Nov/Dec.
Perhaps we can move around the city each time & arrange car pooling for those needing a ride.
If someone is up to hosting one @ a party room or other , that can work too.
Your input is welcome.
Regards

fischkopp

It has been a long time that we dedicated a couple of hours for an aquatic florist get-together. Certainly, I don't want to miss the next one. Just make sure the venue for this event will serve us well. :)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

sas

I'd love to take part in something like this, depending on timings etc..

jetstream

I'll try my best to be there. So far, my attendance of all the plant gathering is close to 99.9999%!  ;)

Cheers,

RebeccaB

I am sure I could make it out too. Every couple of months is probably a good idea. Thanks for initiating this! Saturday or Sunday could work for me.
Slowly venturing down the Amano path...

charlie

QuoteHello planted tank hobbyist, is there any interest in a regular gathering for planted tank hobbyist , be it monthly or every 2 months preferably on a weekend , this venture is not intended to market / promote any vendor /product or personal gain either by monetary or other.
The idea here is to meet exchange ideas & issues , trade or sell plants & associated gear one on one with each other, all in the interest of helping & promoting the planted tank hobby, this venture is not intended to be separate to the club but in conjunction with OVAS.
Please indicate in this thread with preference of day, time & monthly or every 2 mths ,& any other suggestions.
Just trying to gauge interest  here to see if we have enough hobbyist.
Thanks

OK guys, how does the weekend of Oct. 15-16 or 22-23 ?
Please post your preference of weekend & day ( Sat. or Sunday)
Mid morning  or afternoon/evening
Also any suggestions of where?

This is also ideal for anyone wanting to start Planted aquariums or  just started.
Regards

RebeccaB

Quote from: charlie on September 27, 2011, 09:16:21 AM

OK guys, how does the weekend of Oct. 15-16 or 22-23 ?
Please post your preference of weekend & day ( Sat. or Sunday)
Mid morning  or afternoon/evening
Also any suggestions of where?

This is also ideal for anyone wanting to start Planted aquariums or  just started.
Regards

Hi Errol. I think the weekend of the 15-16 is a better choice since the Museum of Nature trip is scheduled for October 22nd.

A Saturday is best for me - perhaps for brunch!
Slowly venturing down the Amano path...

charlie

Quote from: RebeccaB on September 27, 2011, 09:48:15 AM
Hi Errol. I think the weekend of the 15-16 is a better choice since the Museum of Nature trip is scheduled for October 22nd.

A Saturday is best for me - perhaps for brunch!
Works for me too, forgot about the field trip, so what do you guys think of Oct.15 brunch LMK
PLace? suggestions, plant swap ?, tpoic for discussion? ideas welcomed

magnosis

I will be busy during weekends for as long as it's not raining (insane amount of work to be done outside + the odd activities with the family).

So, if it rains, I'm in for either weekends, Saturdays or Sundays both fine, starting at 11:00 AM
If it's not raining, then I'd be available only late afternoons or evenings.

Plant-brains get-together > Nature Museum as far as I'm concerned.

fischkopp

The 15th should be good. Brunch is fine. Or maybe late afternoon so I don't have to feel bad sipping some pops. :)
As for a place, Royal Oak worked well last time, for brunch Sunnyhays is bad. There is a little fish restaurant on Merrivale (beside Loblaws) that might be interesting for n afternoon session. They serve a pretty good fish 'n chips.

As for topic: plants! I think we can get started with a little who is who and what everyone has a planted tank. I am pretty sure the discussion will go some way from there.

Quote from: charlie on September 27, 2011, 10:50:26 AM
Works for me too, forgot about the field trip, so what do you guys think of Oct.15 brunch LMK
PLace? suggestions, plant swap ?, tpoic for discussion? ideas welcomed
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

Quote from: fischkopp on September 27, 2011, 12:56:19 PM
The 15th should be good. Brunch is fine. Or maybe late afternoon so I don't have to feel bad sipping some pops. :)
As for a place, Royal Oak worked well last time, for brunch Sunnyhays is bad. There is a little fish restaurant on Merrivale (beside Loblaws) that might be interesting for n afternoon session. They serve a pretty good fish 'n chips.

As for topic: plants! I think we can get started with a little who is who and what everyone has a planted tank. I am pretty sure the discussion will go some way from there.

If you are thinking Joey`s fish & Chip - that is no longer there.

fischkopp

my fish suck

charlie

2075turner

As i am trying my hand at a planted tank, please count me in.  I am down for Oct 15th as well, seeing as I am having my discus meeting on the 22nd. ;)

The fish place that Robert indicated has good food as well 8)

Cheers