New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Peat Moss? Pond readings ... pH 8.4

Started by ponder, July 14, 2004, 09:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ponder

Hello!

If we're using a filter (swimming pool type) filled with lava rock as the filtration system ... has anyone heard of using peat moss to counteract the effects of the lava rock?

We've had this large set of indoor ponds going for coming up to a year.  We've never done any test readings until our fish started acting weird.  (Won't eat, hide away, stay in one corner of the pond)

Anyhow, our test readings were:

Nitrate         20
Nitrite           0
Hardness    250
Alkalinity     300+   (colour was more vivid than highest colour scale)
pH               8.4
ammonia     .25

A helpful fellow said that because we were using the lava rocks in the filtration system that was more than likely the culprit.  With the readings above, apparently our (connected) ponds are perpetually high in pH .. and by gum ... the pH will stay like that with no spikes or falls.

So, we just bought a bag and are putting peat pellets into it.  We're going to stick it on top of the lava rock .. and hopefully something will happen.

This same fellow also thought that buying/using "pH minus" wouldn't help because we'd have to use it again in like 2 weeks.  (because of the lava rocks)

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks for your time!

Cheers,
ponder

Julie

PH Minus probably won't work at all because of the GH of your water being on the higher side.

I use Peat Pellets in my Aquaclear Filter and it does decrease the Hardness and PH.   I don't see why it wouldn't work in your filter; but I'm not sure how well it would work just sitting in the pond.

Perhaps it is the ammonia in your pond making your fish act strangely.

pegasus

Your water reading is the same as mine, and since you are located 30 mintues south of Ottawa I would guess you are on a well? I have no idea if the lava rock filtration is the culprit.

luvfishies

Most Lava rock is relatively inert, so that may not be the culprit. I would look to Limestone rocks (possibly as decor?) rather than Lava Rock.

the peat should help some, but with your Carbonate Hardness (KH) being that high, you might have to change the peat fairly often as it "eats" up the KH in order to reduce the pH.