New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Red colored Malawi's?

Started by zippity, April 13, 2007, 03:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zippity

Guys, i have tons of yellow, blue, white, and brownish colored cichlids but I am so looking for anything that is colored in red and stays below 5inches full grown. I am only looking for possibly 2 to compliment my colored tank. What species are out there that can give me that vibrant red color?

Cheers,

Terry

Quatro

Terry,  does it have to be Malawi's?  I just noticed that BigAls West has Hap Flamebacks on sale for $5 this weekend (Lake Victoria, not sure of the size).  http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1548

darkdep

Look at German Red, Ruben Red, or Strawberry Red Peacocks. 

zippity

Quatro(Mike) that fish does look great and the size is fine. My concern is that it is an omnivore, and I truly like to stick with my fish being herbivores. Don't like to try and feed different foods for different species. But a fine specimen of a fish that is and I may have to look into it.

oenology

Red zebra - Metriaclima esterae

zippity

DD(Chris):

I didn't like the Ruby red or in your words Ruben red, I couldn't find the Strawberry Red Peacocks unless it went under another name. I used cichlid forum as my search and found the German Reds to be nice but again my concern is with them being carnivores.

Any other fish come to mind guys?

Oeneology(Jenn): I used to have the Female red Estheraes and found my females to be orange colored and with all my research can only find orange colored. I don't want to go down that road again with them although they are pretty fish. I am talking red red, Quatro's choice so far with the red and being an omnivore is best choice.

But keep them coming, I am still researching.

Thanks folks!!!!!

darkdep

Ruby Red and Ruben Red are the same thing; technically "Ruben Red" is correct tho, as they are named after someone with the last name Ruben.  I have several and the first is starting to colour up.  I got them specifically because I wanted something deep red as well.  The first is starting to colour up now, so I'm not yet sure of how red they get but I am hopeful.  Spencer Jack says they turn out much redder and nicer looking than German Red's, time will tell.

Those Flamebacks are nice.  How did they look, Quatro?

zippity

DD: well that is funny coming from spencer jack cuz according to the cichlid forum search, the germans get much redder.

Now how old is your male do you think to be coloring up like that? The Ruby Red show specimen looks more orangeish-red.

The Flamebacks Quatro mentioned look real nice too and being an omnivore, it could possibly be a better mix to my Malawi herbs. They look a mix between our fresh water perch found here in the Ottawa River with red on top.

Quatro

Quote from: DarkDep on April 13, 2007, 09:09:02 PM
Those Flamebacks are nice.  How did they look, Quatro?

What I meant when I said "not sure about the size" is that I did not go and see them but saw them listed on the BigAls fish specials website.  I have since came across a listing for Pseudotropheus Flameback on the cichlid-forum site (http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1461) so I am no longer sure what they are selling.

If your looking for a herbivore, I like the Hap Ruby Green (http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1558).  I bit of red and green to add to the tank.

darkdep

I can second that; the Hap Ruby Green I got at the Giant Auction was fantastic.  Unfortunately, he died, (not sure why) but was beautiful.

I trust Cichlid Forum's profile section as a great general resource.  That being said, I have several "differences of opinion" with several listings, so I don't consider it a "perfect" source of info (although it's my favourite for sure).  I trust Spencer's opinion until it proves itself wrong :) 

My Ruben Red peacock male is maybe 2.5" or so; and there are red and orange colourations.  It wouldn't surprise me if he turns out to have a reddish orangeish hue, but I'm hopeful for Red.

Something to keep in mind, All the Red peacocks (Ruby Red, Ruben Red, German Red, etc) are not true species, but are all line bred specimens of Aulonocara Stuartgranti...meaning they are not truely seperate species.  So, with THAT being said, pictures on Cichlid Forum or anywhere else may be misleading, because the eventual colour of any specimen is going to be determined by it's parents. The German Red show pic on Cichlid Forum, according to Spencer, is not the way the "german red's" usually look.

I'll let you know over time how the Ruben turns out.  I want the same thing you do (a deep red fish) so I'd also be interested in seeing if you find something else.

zippity

Yes i take the cichlid forum like i take any others but a little more serious tho. I try to check out other sites and compare, gather all info and/or pics.

The biggest thing I take serious is the people I know in Ottawa and their advice, since most of you guys have either held or are holding in your tanks certain species that I take care of too.

Please do keep me informed about your Ruby Red DD!!!!

Quatro, as the Ps. Flameback goes, no red there but nice fish nonetheless. As for your Hap Ruby Green, excellent looking!!!!!! And as a matter of fact I see you have some in your tanks and your female holding, uhhhhhummm, perhaps 2 can be mineeeeeee. According to CF, 3.75" herbivore, mildly aggressive and mouthbrooder too, so I know it will get along great with my policeman auratus and my colony of demasoni (da-may-sun-i) hahahaha!!! I am searching websites, even at Superpet stores reading books, and nothing red.

Well heres to looking and hoping and good to see others like the Hap Ruby Green coem to my mind and make me think hmmmmmmmmm?!

Quatro

I should really update my sig.  The female is no longer holding and I have about 7 half inch ruby greens.  If you have a growout tank I can get you some.

As for the flameback they listed them as Hap Flameback so I figure there the first one I posted but can not guarranty it.

pegasus

You want RED, here's RED... by tobalman, one of our forum member and a good friend but you may have to drive to Toronto.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v618/tobalman/Red%20Peacock/?action=view&current=_3IMG_2175.jpg

Also, Am I the only one that raise and feed his Africans as if they were all omnivores?

babblefish1960

Well that one certainly appears to be on the red side a bit, funny that one wasn't thought of before. ;) Toronto isn't that far away now is it, especially if it means that much red. :)

FishPassion

I would love to have some of those red cichilds also Terry and would gladly weed out some juvies in my tank to make room for new ones. If you go to TO I have about 10 empty buckets now and you can get a cpl of cichilds for me as well buddy.  :)

Im positive that there are more ppl looking for RED cichlids here in Ottawa...
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

artw

Protomelas taeniolatus like Pegasus's avatar
Red shoulder aulonocara peacock
(wild) metriaclima estherae you must feed these colour bits to retain the red.   
there are some Tropheops that could be called orangey-red but again you'd need to hammer colour bits into them every day.

honestly there is very little "red" in Lake Malawi.

sweetness85

wow pegasus that is beautiful!!!   like fishpassion said i am sure there would be quite a few of us that would love that red of a cichlid here in ottawa.  i know i would!  i'd go for the drive to TO just to have a look at those fish.  beautiful little things they are.  if there is ever a group order make sure y'all let me in on it

pegasus

Just pm tobalman
The problem is that I don't know how to get to Toronto and he doesnm't know where Ottawa is. :D  One of these day, we will connect. I'm to exchange some of my Eureka for some Red Peacock but I'll see as we are to trade also P.steveni Taiwan Reef.

darkdep

LOL is he in North York?  I'm sitting in a Toronto Hotel right now :)

zippity

i sure as heck hope so, we gotta get a hold of him while you are there DD, check out his name and message him. If so I will take 2 nice ones.

FishBuddy

Quote from: zippity on April 14, 2007, 11:46:21 PM
i sure as heck hope so, we gotta get a hold of him while you are there DD, check out his name and message him. If so I will take 2 nice ones.

Terry, those are really nice red peacocks.   How much does he want for them???  And how big are they?  By looking at the pictures, they looked like albino too with the red eyes :-) 

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

pegasus

Well I got his phone #. Tobolman is an avid breeder and collector as I am, meaning that his breeding is not a business but a passion. If anyone of you his planning a trip up there please call me. Meanwhile, I'll try to reach him today and see what he has for sale.

zippity

Pegasus, that would be really nice of you to give him a call and find out what he has available and for how much and I am sure DD can pick up some for us on his way back home. Like I said I would be down for 2 of them and if he has enough to go around I am sure others would be on this list too. That is why I love the passionate people about the hobby and not the moneymaking seekers of the hobby.

Keep us informed, thanks!!!!!!

People start a list and how many depending on price.

FishBuddy

Zippity, if it is juvies, I probably would take 5 of them :-)  Yeah, you are right that it's difficult to find red Malawi cichlids...

Pegasus, thanks for contacting Tobalman for us...

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

sweetness85

i would loooove at least 2 depending on price of course.  maybe if we all get enough he will give us a teeny bit of a discount? :P...lol.  i would want at least 2.  if we can get  price it would be great too!

darkdep

Hi folks, doesn't look like I can do any transport. I'm set to leave town in about 15 mins, gotta try to get back before the weather hits.

pegasus

Tobalman is at an auction and will give me a list later but it seems like we would have to wait for the next batch.
I do have a question for you. Who is the moneymaking seekers of the hobby? The seller or the buyer? As a breeder I think it's the buyer. Look at the extra cost of breeding.... extra tanks, food and electrical bill for 4-8months of growth. 50% the LFS's price is a good start.

sweetness85

i know someone that goes to toronto frquently and i could ask if he could take us back some when there are some available.  i think a list of how many would be great also to get a price on them.  i think a delivery to ottawa can be arranged if there are enough that can be bought from tobalman.  hey i could do it if everyone chipped in a bit for gas...lol