New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Knock Knock ... who's there?

Started by fw_djr, November 30, 2010, 04:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fw_djr

:)

Hello Derek here!

Recently set up a 20G "starter" tank in August for my 7yo daughter.
But,  as is common I'm the "addict" although she enjoy watching (and naming) the fish.

Have gone from 0-90 in a short time (Nitrogen Cycle and Ottawa tap water parameters).

Cheers!

Hope to see you around!

Derek

Darth

welcome to the club, this is a freshwater setup I assume? Yes the addiction is worse than anything! Good luck!

ordi260

MTS here we come ;)

Welcome to ovas!  If you want to join the club contact Vince!

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

sas

Welcome to the forum portion of the club :).

We will all wait patiently until you get your own tank ;).
Watch out this hobby is very addictive but so much fun.

fw_djr

LOL
Yes MTS is starting to creep into my veins....but we'll keep with this set-up until we understand more about ..well.. "everything".

It is indeed a freshwater set up (if you couldn't tell by my lame nickname). 
The starter livebearer fish we have are :
2 red-wag swords(female), 2 guppies(male), 2 red platies and 2 fry (3 months old)=> pretty sure they are swordtails...apparantly someone was pregnant when they were brought home.

I've just recently decided to test for water hardness and found that Ottawa water is actually very soft (kH=3degrees, GH=4degrees)...and livebearers apparantly prefer
harder water.  Any thoughts on how to adjust this (and maintain pH (7.5) would be welcomed). => I believe there is a product by Seachem that I may check out.

Our set-up is pretty amateurish right now..daughter picked out alot of the ornaments at the store...but I'm starting to think about plants...rocks..driftwood...(oh my).

Thanks for the welcome!

Cheers,

Derek

Brent Shaver

Welcome to OVAS, everyone starts with one tank and then it is a race between funiture and bigger tanks...grins

Lots of people here more then willing to help and be sure to check out our meetings which start again on a monthly basis Jan 24th.

RoxyDog

Welcome to OVAS Derek.

I wouldn't worry about the hardness of your water or the ph too much, as the fish that you're keeping now should be perfectly happy the way your water is.  I live in Kanata and have never adjusted my water for any fish I've kept and that includes tropical community/live bearers, cichlids, goldfish and a reef tank.  If you someday get a specific species who is sensitive to water parameters, especially to breed, then you might want to play around with it, but for now, in my opinion, it's just easier to leave it alone.  :)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Vincenzo.

fischkopp

Welcome to OVAS!

Quote from: fw_djr on December 01, 2010, 09:29:01 AM
I've just recently decided to test for water hardness and found that Ottawa water is actually very soft (kH=3degrees, GH=4degrees)...and livebearers apparantly prefer
harder water.  Any thoughts on how to adjust this (and maintain pH (7.5) would be welcomed).

Say good buy to those livebearers and get some nice south american softwater fish!  :D
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031