New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

schooling fish

Started by Darth, January 11, 2011, 05:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth

so I have a 56 gal with 2 percs an 1 pajama cardinal 1 skunk 1 blood and 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 reef lobster and various clean up crew and some corals. I have been thinking of getting some more fish, and was toying with some inexpensive schooling fish, I was considering some chromis and would prob need at least 5, is that too many fish for my tank and would they be aggressive in a such a small school

Hookup

After reading this months Reefkeeping TOTM I am redefining "too many fish".  This system is jammed packed!  And yes he has a 500gallon total system volume but there are a few dozen fish....

For his success he claims that one key is detritus management.  Less in = less out.  Higher maintenance possibly here but it is a key.  I strongly suggest you read up on his system, which is not high tec.. Just well managed.

That said, he has a set of 11 cardinals that look really good IMO and do school... More than most anyhow...

kole18

Your tank is too small, I'd find chromis once it gets matured tend to kill each other, used to have 10 of those damsel chromis at my 100g a few years ago & every week I'm loosing one by one the heck is wrong with this fish, got move to anthias dispar & barletts a bit expensive as well very colorful in your tank I had them all for a few years. But for your tank I wouldn't advice for you to have schooling fish in your tank 56g not much space.