New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Matted Filefish reef safe?

Started by RickGervs, December 12, 2011, 07:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickGervs

Hey Guys,

So I need to get rid of aiptasia in my tank and I was thinking on buying a matted filefish to get rid of that.

The only thing is that I heard that it's not really reef safe. I was wondering if anyone had any luck adding a filefish to a reef aquarium?

Thanks,

Eric

JetJumper

Although I don't have much experience with Filefish, they can eat items you may want to keep in your tank.  If you are concerned about them eating something else you have you can consider using a peppermint shrimp.  I have 1 in my tank and (s)he keeps the aptasia at bay. :)
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Rybren

I had a Matted Filefish for a while in my tank.  When it was done clearing out the aptasia, it started nipping at the LPS.

I have heard of others that didn't have this issue, but their Filefish were eating frozen food, something that mine didn't do.
120G Reef

NjOyRiD

I have one in my tank, not eating Apstsia yet, but not bottering anything
hes a keeper for now :) very nice fish I think
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

cdylnicki

Mine did a great job on eating aptasia, but then started munching on my nassarius snails whenever they came out to feed.

Darth

I had one ate all the aptasia. was eating frozen, then it wiped out all my xenia so I got rid of him had a heck of a time trying to catch him too had to tear apart the entire tank

RickGervs

I think I should just go with peppermint shrimps

mmaisonneuve

Dont count on the Perpermint shrimp to clean your tank of Aptaisia. At best they might eat the small ones....at best. Your better with a CBB just make sure he eat frozen at the LFS and it should be ok.....Check with Marinescape they had a large one on the weekend. 
90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

kole18

I used joe juice a bit cheaper & works well too.

Hookup

Quote from: mmaisonneuve on December 14, 2011, 02:20:08 PM
Dont count on the Perpermint shrimp to clean your tank of Aptaisia. At best they might eat the small ones....at best. Your better with a CBB just make sure he eat frozen at the LFS and it should be ok.....Check with Marinescape they had a large one on the weekend. 

IMO this is not been the case.  The 4 peppermints in my system have destroyed em time and again.  Yes, if they are loonie size they cannot handle it, but nickel and dime sized are eaten quickly.. 

JetJumper

They can handle the bigger ones as well.  Atleast mine did.

NjOyRiD

they need to be from the caribbean  to eat apstasia
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

kole18

Yup I heard about that pprment shrimp from carrebian those are known for aptasia eater your right njoy. I've read this before can't remember maybe at rc's.

mmaisonneuve

Well one thing is sure....njoy yours are not from the Caribbean.....cause the aren't heating any Aptaisia in your tank
90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

kole18

Ccb that I have before ate all my aptasia just within a week.

JetJumper

I strongly recommend against getting a CBB only because they are an Expert rated fish.  You can either borrow one for a day for it to clean out your aptasia, or go with another option.  If you can find one eating frozen, great, but I still don't recommend it.  IMHO

NjOyRiD

everything I put in my tank gets lazy LOL
370g System

Darth

can always try a berghia nudi as well

redbelly

Pep shrimp are def the way to go IMO.

NjOyRiD

Quote from: redbelly on December 14, 2011, 10:34:13 PM
Pep shrimp are def the way to go IMO.

Pat, is it true they do a better job in group?
370g System

mmaisonneuve