New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aquatic Expo and CAOAC convention

Started by Jody, June 22, 2023, 07:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jody

Hiya Everyone!

I have been working to get details about the upcoming convention.
The Aquatic Expo is being held at the International Centre in Toronto, with September 16-17, alongside the PetExpo, Reptile Expo and Plant Expo.

Chris Biggs is the MC, but not a speaker himself.
  Therese Neal will be speaking. She is a dedicated shrimp and plant enthusiast.
 Jeff Cardwell will be doing a presentation. He has be keeping fish for 50+ years, and goes on collecting trips all over South and Central America (I have heard a couple of his trip talks, they are great).
  I was told there are a couple of other speakers, but I am not sure who they are yet.

The IBC (Betta Club) and Trans Canada Guppy will have a show, and then they will auction off the fish from the show.  CAOAC will have their fish show as well, which covers pretty much everything else, and some of those things may be auctioned off as well.

The CAOAC part of the convention will have a dinner on Saturday, with raffles, draws and Jeff Cardwell will be doing a talk.

There will be no CAOAC auction this time, but they are saying that there may be people doing room sales in the hotel.

If anyone is interested in more info, just check out CAOAC's facebook page. They are starting to really gear up the posts now that it is approaching.

I am planning on going, and can take a a few people in my car, and am happy to share a room with someone.
   The typical plan we tend to follow is leave early Friday, hit a bunch of fish stores in Toronto, then check in at the hotel. If there is an event there, we will hang out.
Saturday, we hit the event, and if we decide to skip stuff, we will head out to more shops or some fishrooms.
  Sunday, final shopping and fish room if we want and then head home.
 It is busy, but fun, and we can often get some great deals from local breeders, and see some fun fishrooms.

If you are interested, or thinking about it, let me know!

Jody

Jody

So just a bit of an update.

It looks like Jennifer Williams will be speaking - for info on her check out https://jwdaqua.com/

Sandy Moore, president of Seagrest farms will also be speaking

Plus, a fish vet as well (I did not get a name for them)

There will be retail vendors at the show

There will be a dry good auction and "quite a few" draws at the hotel.

So far, it looks like 2 of us going, hopefully we can get 1 or 2 more.

Jody

Jody

Hey Folks,

Just a quick heads up.
The cut off date for the banquet tickets is Aug 15th, and I think the hotel group rate expires around then as well.

Thanks
Jody

charlie

Wow! What a weekend, I encourage you guys to plan for next year.
3 of us attended and had a blast. I heard a full story line might be the subject of our first meeting.