New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Root Zone ?'s

Started by kennyman, July 15, 2007, 09:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennyman

Keeping in mind a I have a soil substrate with a thin layer of gravel to "cap" it. If I want to remove a plant such as Hygro with an aggressive root structure is it best to try an pull as much root out as I can? I really don't want to disrupt other plant roots and pull soil into the water column. But I have read that is bad to just cut a stem off and leave the roots as they will create too much decay.

Any experiences out there with this either way?

babblefish1960

Put a finger down alongside the stem into the soil to loosen up the roots, and then slowly pull the plant out. It is more of an easing than pulling, you will get the hang of it. There will be a slight puff of dirt come out with it,  but don't worry about it, and voila, an entire plant. Alternatively, you could just snip the hygrophila off above a node or pair of leaves, and the plant will regrow, and you didn't mess with the soil at all then. :)

kennyman

Thanks for the tip babble  :)

I have cut a few stems of hygro and left them to regrow but I am questioning the place this monstrosity of phytoactivity has in a narrow tank like my 55. It truly is a voluminous beast of a plant :D

babblefish1960

You're very welcome, and well spake! ;)