New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Mushrooms & water changes

Started by Thunda, April 16, 2011, 11:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunda

hi everyone! we have done 2 water changes since we got our coral, & we noticed both times that the mushrooms reacted strongly, by coning. We were wondering what's up with that? is it normal? or something we should be concerned about?

FocusFin

Don't know why they would react that way, usually when they're lacking light they'll sort of stretch towards it, but haven't seen it with just water change.

If your water parameters are reasonable then its nothing to be concerned about, mushrooms can grow in just about any environment. I've had mushrooms that detached and ended up darkness under a rock and still thrive.
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

NjOyRiD

same with me, never seem mine doing that!
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

HappyGuppy

FWIW I have seen my mushrooms coning before.  I have no idea what was the stimulus for that behavior.

Thunda

From our testing, all our parameters are normal, & we use the Instant Ocean: Reef Crystals

well, I guess I'll just chalk this one up as to them being "Happy" (for as much a plant can be happy!) lol

HappyGuppy

FWIW, they're actually animals.  Furthermore, though we call them corals, mushrooms are actually closer to anemone.

My suspicion is that it is a "happy" thing when they are coning, from what I recollect of my own experience.

Thunda

Mushrooms are actually an animal? do we have to buy special food for them? or do they just feed off of the light? Az at Aqua Valley showed us some his corals & did a demonstration on feeing some (that was WAY to cool!). he mentioned that the Mushrooms only need light.

& what does FWIW mean?

Rybren

120G Reef

Bob P

Some Mushrooms take mysis.
I have 3 or 4 types that liketo be fed.
The rest are photosynthetic.
Best to do some research before jumping in.

Darth

you can feed any coral the size of the food is dependant on the coral some corals you need to fee phytoplankton. I feed my tank a variety of cyclopeze reef roids mysis and krill and the aneneme's silversides but for everyone is different half the fun us finding out what works for you