New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Yet another lighting question

Started by jgolden, November 03, 2007, 03:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgolden

Looking at replacing the 5 X 48" VHOs I currently have with a 60" 322W (2-96 watt, 2-65 watt) Dual Strip Compact Fluorescent Light Fixture. Would the CF setup I'm looking at provide me with the same (or more) lumens as teh current VHO setup?

TIA

J

sniggir

why not go T5's they are far more effcient than CF's and have great color's aswell... wow that is a lot of light for a FW set up... lol should think about going SW...jk I just try and switch everyone to the darkside
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

jetstream

Basically, Compact Fluorescent and T5 are the same! The lumens from the same wattage tubes should be the same. T5 is just longer in length, for ex: a 55 watts T5 is approx 46 inches long and a CF is approx 22 inches long.

BigDaddy

This chart:

http://www.coralreefecosystems.com/ltg_technical_data.htm#Photosynthetically%20Active%20Radiation

shows that 96W CF bulbs provide a far more effecient light distribution pattern.

However, you are replacing 5 of them with only 2.  The 65W CF's are good, but can't compare bulb for bulb against a 110W VHO

sniggir

well... I am not a planted guy I run SW and most of us do not like the intesity that come from the CF's or PC, alot of people are switching over to T5's because the lumin out put is considered to be the as MH... and the K rating choices that you can get are great, VHO, is still great at pumping out the watage, but alot of people have switch from VHO to T5's
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

CACTUS

T5's have a greater lumen output because of the reflector.how did you have 5 x VHO? 2 different ballasts? that is a ton of light on a freshwater tank Lol.

BigDaddy

Any bulb will have a greater light output due to reflectors.  That is not unique to T5 bulbs.

CACTUS

the reflector for T5 HO lamps is unique [icecap,tek] I haven't seen any PC lights with these reflectors? or any PC fixtures with unique reflectors. can you provide a link that shows PC lights with a good reflector?? I was under the impression thats why T5HO setups were pushing POWERCOMPACTS out of the market?

BigDaddy

AH Supply sells MIRO 3 reflectors for PC bulbs that are nearly the same design as the Icecap T5 reflector.

jgolden

Quote from: CACTUS on November 05, 2007, 01:11:14 PM
T5's have a greater lumen output because of the reflector.how did you have 5 x VHO? 2 different ballasts? that is a ton of light on a freshwater tank Lol.
Lol yep. 2 ballasts. lighting is over a planted 150G

BigDaddy

Just out of curiousity, why are you looking to upgrade?

jgolden

Quote from: BigDaddy on November 04, 2007, 09:40:14 AM
This chart:

http://www.coralreefecosystems.com/ltg_technical_data.htm#Photosynthetically%20Active%20Radiation

shows that 96W CF bulbs provide a far more efficient light distribution pattern.

However, you are replacing 5 of them with only 2.  The 65W CF's are good, but can't compare bulb for bulb against a 110W VHO

Actually, the units have 2 * 96w and 2 * 65W bulbs in them. Would that compare to the 5 * 110W VHOs? If not, was also considering adding 2 of these units. Would THAT be overkill?

Quote from: BigDaddy on November 05, 2007, 04:53:12 PM
Just out of curiousity, why are you looking to upgrade?

Partially because of the cost of running the 5 VHOs (electricity); Partially for the availability (every time one burns out, I have to order a replacement; I've only found 45.5" VHOs at BA-Innes, and not lately....); partially because the tank is 60", and I don't believe that even with the staggering I have, I'm not getting proper light distribution; And partially because I'm looking at reducing the footprint the (DIY) hood is taking.

BigDaddy

If a footprint is a big issue, then you should go with T5HO bulbs.  Without reflectors, you can stack them less than an inch apart.  With reflectors (like the IceCap), they are around two inches between bulbs.

They come in 4 foot lengths, so you could stagger them over a 5 foot tank no problem.  They are also a fairly easy bulb to get at Litemore and others.  The 96W CF bulb, you will find, is almost as hard to replace (and a lot harder on the dollar) than a 110W VHO.

I am assuming this is for your 150?  Depending on what plants you are planning, either 4 or 6 bulbs should be more than enough.

groan

sorry to ressurect this old post, but it has alot of info i am looking at,

Any clue where the best spot is to get a diy kit for t5s? I am looking at either 4 48's or 6 24's over a 48 inch 55 gal.
need caps and ballasts etc all pre-wired. I do not claim to be a diy'er so as easy as possible without spending a TON of cash.

if i do the 24's i think i would stagger them a bit...

groan

Darkphreak pointed me to these guys
http://aquakit.ca/product_info.php?cPath=26_32&products_id=38&osCsid=f2c5bc52fa5c8ec5556f3a67292f255f

so now i need to decide to either go 48 in or 24..
the 48 is only $35 more and the kit comes with...(sounds like we have a winner!)

4x T5 Waterproof End Cap Pairs
4x T5 Standoff Pairs
4x Icecap T5 Reflectors
4x T5 ARC Lamps(Choice of 10,000K or Actinic Plus)
1x Workhorse Ballast
1x 10 Feet Wire
1x Wire Caps
1x 3 Prong Plug

BigDaddy

Aquakit doesn't sell locally though groan, only to people outside the Ottawa area.

groan

BigDaddy

Quote from: groan on December 26, 2007, 07:28:22 PM
are you kidding me?
I hope so.

No joke.

However, Ottawa Inverts and Marinescape are their resellers so you should check with one or both of them.

groan

I ended up getting a fantastic deal from Marinescape for a Current Dual Satellite 48" for HALF PRICE!
$200 with tax.

260 watts total.