New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Wiring up VHO lights

Started by MarkD, December 30, 2007, 04:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkD

I was wondering if someone could help me out with info on how to wire up my 2 VHO bulbs with my Workhorse 7.

The ballast has 4 red wires and one yellow...

I am running only 2 36" long VHO actinic bulbs with waterproof end caps.

jeffd

do a google search on running vho with workhorse7. There are quite of few that have done it successfully but also others who have had issues with endcaps melting down. Fulham does not recommend running more then 1 vho bulb per ballast as their ballast can not provide the amperage that 2 vho's require.

those with success wire the bulbs in series.

http://www.aquaria.ca/forums/showthread.php?s=808f95ceb340f96d69a34f3f69661451&t=1732

one post of many on this subject.

good luck.

MarkD

damn...I had no idea they want you to run one per bulb...Im gonna have to sell my left nut to get this canopy finished!!!!

BigDaddy

Yeah, a single 110W VHO bulb draws almost a full amp on its own.  The WH7 is only rated for 1.82 Amps max current.  Probably not a good idea to try wiring two of them up to one ballast.

jeffd

there is probably a better chance of success with doing this using vho's under 48" as the shorter vho tubes draw less. If you decide to try it out just keep a close eye on the endcaps and the temp of the wh7. May need to mount the wh7 to a block of aluminum\fans to aid cooling. Its one of those things i guess need to be weighed when diy lighting. Sure it may work fine for weeks, months etc but when you are away from the house is it worth worrying about. In the event of an electrical fire, the insurance companies can be pretty cruel at payout time.

I would be more inclined to try this out if I were a home body, where i'm at the house 99.9% to keep an eye on things (during the tanks lighting period).

jeffd

A safer option even would be to pick up a 2nd wh7 ballast for your 2nd vho tube. Not sure what the price of 2 x wh7's compared to an icecap 430 that will safely run 2 x 110w vho's. Or the Icecap 660 to run 4 vho's for possible future expansion.

jeffd

Ivan over at Aquaria Canada has a 2 bulb vho ballast kit\endcaps etc brand new for $80

Just a thought.

MarkD

well I am using it on 36" long bulbs, but like you said...I would rather pay an extra $40 and not have to worry about a fire.

I am retro fitting 2 MH bulbs as well, so Im not sure if it one of those sealed units?

jeffd

what type of ballasts are you planning on going with to drive your mh's?

MarkD

looking at one on ebay right now...  dual 175W

I was looking at my workhorse 7...and it says right on it "approved for lamp combinations of 220 max watts"  my 2 lamps on = 190 watts