New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Which Carbon Media to Choose ?

Started by pminister, March 10, 2010, 02:02:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pminister

I was just on the Big Als website, and my gosh there are tons of selection. I mainly need it for my FW tank...fyi

Is there really a huge difference from generic Carbon media, to the brand name Carbon media ?

What are some experiences with people trying different carbon media?

johnrt

Some of it is 'dusty'. The more expensive might be cleaner, unless somebody dropped the box.

robt18

I always find Marineland's Black Diamond line is the best (I believe it's all black diamond now). It's the only carbon I use anymore. It's not too dusty (just give it a rinse before use) and it works really quickly and well. Definitely recommended!

JD

+1
My redox probe agrees too.

Quote from: robt18 on March 10, 2010, 08:43:14 AM
I always find Marineland's Black Diamond line is the best (I believe it's all black diamond now). It's the only carbon I use anymore. It's not too dusty (just give it a rinse before use) and it works really quickly and well. Definitely recommended!

lost_at_sea

I just bought a dual Phosphate/carbon reactor from BRS and their ROX carbon. After speaking with them for a while their high end carbon does a very good job with much less carbon... I can definitely let you know how it goes with my experience in a few weeks.

have a watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVpRGzerJFI

pminister

I guess some brands, do out way the others as well. @lost_at_sea> do keep us all posted.

One other question I have is how much do you really need to put, in order for the Carbon to remove impurities from the tank. I mean right now I just have a simple 20Gallon tank, where I just placed a sealed plastic mesh with carbon media into my HOB filter. Id say it was about 2-3 tablespoon full.

RossW

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/reef-calculator

Quote from: pminister on March 10, 2010, 01:01:23 PM
One other question I have is how much do you really need to put, in order for the Carbon to remove impurities from the tank. I mean right now I just have a simple 20Gallon tank, where I just placed a sealed plastic mesh with carbon media into my HOB filter. Id say it was about 2-3 tablespoon full.

lost_at_sea

After speaking with the guy from BRS he said a few table spoons goes a long way as  long as the flow is right... this is also in reference to using Carbon in a reactor. you actually don't want to have the Carbon packed together, rather free flowing in an slow updraft of water maximizing contact time.