New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Where to get perspex to convert tank to sump

Started by martin_jones, May 21, 2010, 08:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin_jones

Hi guys,

I am going to convert an old aquarium into a sump, and plan to use perspex to make the baffles.

Where in Ottawa can I get perspex sheets to use for this? (and any idea, roughly, on the cost)?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

PS: I was planning on a sump like this: http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/h/sump_model_h.html - is this a reasonable design? (the sump tank is about 30G to serve a 90G reef)
With fronds like these, who needs anemones?

Aquaviewer

As I understand it Perspex is a brand name for a specific manufacturer of acrylic.  For acrylic in Ottawa, Canus Plastics (who have now moved from downtown to the east end) and Plastics of Ottawa are you best bets.  Acrylic is about $6 sq foot.

If it is a glass tanks, how are you going to install it?  While silicon is great for glass applications it doesn't adhere to acrylic very well.  Also acrylic absorbs water and expands so you run the risk of busting your glass sump if you have a snug fit.  You would be better off glass baffles.
Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma

martin_jones

Sorry - meant acrylic (perspex was first thing that came to mind)

I was going to silicone the glass to the plastic, but if that isn't easy then I may go glass baffles. The only bit I saw was the routed baffle to control water flow, and figured this'd be easier with plastic.

Thanks for the info. Will do some more research.

Martin
With fronds like these, who needs anemones?

JetJumper

I followed that guys site for building my sump as well.

I used Plex and a Glass Aquarium.  Made sure it wasn't snug and silicone is slowly letting go.  I recommend NOT to go with Plex and glass.  haha. Next time I know better.  Its still holding fine, but I can slide it up and down inside the silicone channel
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

dan2x38

I used glass from old windows thrown out by a neighbour. I used a basic glass cutter. Then smoothed the edges with emery paper. But you can also get it cut. I got glass cut at the Glass Shop on Clyde just across the tracks before Deleude Arena where the OVAS meetings are held. They are priced well and have a turn around time. If they do not have to break new sheets to cut your pieves it is cheaper too.

With ayrlic there can be some issues getting it to stay in place with silicone. Also have to watch the expansion (vr. glass) do not make the fit to tight.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."