New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

why do some LED reef look pink?

Started by mchotdog, July 28, 2012, 03:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mchotdog

i have finally decided to order a LED kit from mudular LED before the end of summer.
i just worry about one thing though. a lot of LED projects have this pink finish. peoples tank look really pink with LEDs. i wonder if its because they are using only royal blues? would using blue LEDs solve this problem? i dont want my tank to look pink :D....
thank you!

NanoSF

The only pink I have seen is when people have red LEDs as part of their colour. Otherwise it looks the same as any lighting.

mchotdog

they sometimes look really purplish though. havent you seen those?

NanoSF

Royal blue is a bit more purple. A lot of higher end LED let you adjust your colour combinations though. That is part of the beauty of LED.

mmaisonneuve

I've experience quite a bit with the Modular LED Kit. They are really nice. Now Get the dimming kit so that you can play with your colours.....also don't go for 1/2 White 1/2 Blue..... Get more blue and less white.....and if you can you can also get some red......I know some people are saying red is not good.....well Radion has red and others are also coming with red...
90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

Marx

i just finished my diy led kit from rapidled.

7 CW
4 UV
2 Red
8 RB
4 B

The uv makes more of a violet color to tank but not pink.

im thinking of getting another 10 RB to give it a deep water blue im at 12-14k color right now.

Also i have a 24" reefbrite 50/50 running.

will add photo to post this afternoon to show you.

mmaisonneuve

Why Rapid LED ?

First Custom will get ya

Second you either have to solder everything or place that large bar with connectors.....

How about modularled in Alberta....you will only pay 5% tax and price is very comparable.....service is great
90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

Marx

mchotdog

Quote from: mmaisonneuve on July 29, 2012, 12:17:32 AM
I've experience quite a bit with the Modular LED Kit. They are really nice. Now Get the dimming kit so that you can play with your colours.....also don't go for 1/2 White 1/2 Blue..... Get more blue and less white.....and if you can you can also get some red......I know some people are saying red is not good.....well Radion has red and others are also coming with red...
i was gonna order the kit last week, but they wouldn't answer calls or reply my questions online...... guess ill try calling them again tomorrow. so i was thinking of ordering a kit with 6CW, 3RB, and 5B. how do you think of that color combo? each light is made of 2X3w LEDs. also do i need to order additional connectors from them if im also buying their dimmer kit?
thank you!!

mchotdog

Quote from: NanoSF on July 29, 2012, 12:02:36 AM
Royal blue is a bit more purple. A lot of higher end LED let you adjust your colour combinations though. That is part of the beauty of LED.
thank you! guess ill get more B than RB

NanoSF

What you should do is go to a LFS that runs some adjustable LED fixtures. I know Marinescape has a few set up. Ask them to adjust out the RB to just blue and see what you think. Then look at just RB. Then look at the combo. Most people actually like the colour from the RB better than blue.

mchotdog

Quote from: NanoSF on August 02, 2012, 07:24:34 AM
What you should do is go to a LFS that runs some adjustable LED fixtures. I know Marinescape has a few set up. Ask them to adjust out the RB to just blue and see what you think. Then look at just RB. Then look at the combo. Most people actually like the colour from the RB better than blue.
it does sound like a good idea. but i have seen a few fixtures with royal blues. i dont really like that purplish color it gives off.