New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Xp2 weak intake

Started by dnas17, June 13, 2013, 09:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnas17

I bought a used xp2 off kijiji and i got it up an running and it seems to work fine but i really feel as if the intake is weak, like very weak. The filter is clearly intaking water because it hasna strong outflow but i havent seen any debris go into the intake and theres a plant right beside the intake which doesnt even move towards it at all. Any idea what I should do?

ajm1961

I've had similar problems, but each case is different. It could be a number of issues, for example:
- air coming into the system, such as cracks or holes in the intake tubing and joints, degraded O-ring, cracks in filter housing
- priming issues (i.e. air trapped in system - need to start with empty canister and let water from aquarium fill it before starting up)
- degradation of the impeller (is there a high squeal or grinding noise?)
- degradation of the motor itself

Here is the link to Rena's FAQs which may help you isolate the problem:
http://www.planetrena.com/most-frequent-faqs.html

Hope that helps!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

magnosis

I'm curious, and I wonder if this is normal, because both my canister filters are like that.

My Eheim Pro II has a very strong output (I need to dial it down when the water level gets low because it's splashing everywhere) but the intake doesn't seem to match.  I often see particles floating by that don't get sucked in. Maybe just a matter of sizing the intake grille properly? I use the stock intake tube & grille.

I doubt there's an air leak because there isn't a single air bubble coming out (while there are quit a bit when I prime it).

I've come to assume this was normal and didn't think much of it until now ;)

dnas17

Yeah really not sure why, I mean I dont think its a huge issue as long as water is flowing through but it really doesnt pull much debris through...

wrm130

If it's anything like my eheim where the intake hose is considerably larger than the return, then it makes sense that the vacuum would be weaker.

As long as you're getting good flow the debris should eventually find its way into the filter...

lucius

You could try placing some sinking food near the intake and see what happens.