New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

JetJumper's Tank Build

Started by JetJumper, March 02, 2010, 12:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikerobart

That is a badass light... Sure it's just orchids you're growing there ?  8) . Just razzing but until we see the orchids... That's a serious set up. I bet a 6500k bulb if you had it could grow sps like crazy... Maybe not so pleasing to the eye too yellow but doable. Too bad they don't make blue HPS or MH bulbs in that wattage ! There are 1000w halides targetted to the hobby.

mikerobart

Also on topic of lighting ...  I've been thinking of a cube build that might be some ways down the road but here is my dream light... Check the insane par #'s compared to 400w's.
www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1772391

Beautiful pendant big reflector. With only 100 more watts than a 400 they doubled the par... Not that the 400w xr6 isn't decent as well.

JetJumper

Quote from: mikerobart on March 02, 2010, 09:30:45 PM
That is a badass light... Sure it's just orchids you're growing there ?  8) . Just razzing but until we see the orchids... That's a serious set up. I bet a 6500k bulb if you had it could grow sps like crazy... Maybe not so pleasing to the eye too yellow but doable. Too bad they don't make blue HPS or MH bulbs in that wattage ! There are 1000w halides targetted to the hobby.

Now that I am at home and not at work, here are some Plant pictures :P  So you all don't think I am crazy and growing massive amounts of Marijuana!

Before I moved, this was my old setup. (before finishing the drywall)

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

JetJumper

Quote from: mikerobart on March 02, 2010, 09:41:46 PM
Also on topic of lighting ...  I've been thinking of a cube build that might be some ways down the road but here is my dream light... Check the insane par #'s compared to 400w's.
www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1772391

Beautiful pendant big reflector. With only 100 more watts than a 400 they doubled the par... Not that the 400w xr6 isn't decent as well.

I must say, this is an amazing design, but the price is way out of my budget for sure.  $1100+ for the cheapest one.. :|  Can't justify that.

Hookup

Quote from: JetJumper on March 02, 2010, 10:19:22 PM
Now that I am at home and not at work, here are some Plant pictures :P  So you all don't think I am crazy and growing massive amounts of Marijuana!

Those photos do not help with your sanity plea... you're obviously prone to ocd, and therefore should fit in just nicely with this crew!

mikerobart

Great pics it's like a plant version of multiple tank syndrome. Oh and the sfiligoi... The rational part of me says no, the crazy obsessed reeftank guy says yes.

ciaus

Quote from: JetJumper on March 02, 2010, 10:19:22 PM
So you all don't think I am crazy and growing massive amounts of Marijuana!

Just to be really clear here, not one person suggested you were growing Marijuana. 
Here is why....I should explain a few points first: 
Freshwater = gateway to Multiple tank syndrome
Marine (salty) tank =  not the usual entry point of aquarium keeping...you are already suffering MTS even if you are still in denial.  This is especially true if you are attempting a DIY Marine system, and documenting it for others.
Marijuana = a so called gateway drug
Marijuana grow op = a gateway plant for plant keepers, as are tomatoes, since they are easy to grow hydroponically, and by osmosis a gateway to advanced hydroponic agricultural activities.

I figured you must have an advanced skill in agriculture, no one ever says they have high hydro bills because they are a plant grower...I reckoned you were way past anything that would be misconstrued as being a gateway plant keeper, like marijuana, or Orchids.  Orchids incredible plants as they are; and since you have already demonstrated a propensity to not being involved in gateway activities; I would never have said that you are growing marijuana.  I personally had you pegged as a poppy plant grower.  ;D

Need any razors?   ::)

Ciaus

JetJumper

Quote from: ciaus on March 03, 2010, 10:52:15 AM
I personally had you pegged as a poppy plant grower.  ;D

haha, nope, never tried to grow poppies.  No interest really.  I like orchids because they are exotic and I find them really fascinating.  There are also Tomatoes in there currently getting ready for spring time.  And if anyone wants some Ghost peppers come summer, I have some growing as well.  If you like HOT peppers, these are the worlds hottest pepper. mmmm.. soo good!  I attempted Hydroponics once, but it failed so I haven't revisited it lately.  Other more interesting things I wanted to do. (Like the Salt water tank)

I know no one said anything about Marijuana, but its the first thing people think usually when I say I have 2 600 watt grow lights :P Maybe not in this community, but others for sure.(They are not running right now, because I have floro's for a cheaper option currently. 300 watts vs 1200 watts.  :) )

Hookup

Hell, it's the first thing I thought of...  ;D ;D

There's a house in Barrhaven I drive by regularly with a few signs on their exterior walls for high-quality grow lights... (they have been taken down, prob because people complained)... anyhow, every time I drove by that house I thought... "wow, all the pot sales aren't enough of an income, you got to start wholesaling lights too..." ;D ;D

The best thing about stereotypes is they are consistent!

Hookup

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=42847.0;topicseen

This is what you want.  I know pat is using 3x250w on his 30" deep tank... you can talk to him more about 34"deep at 250 and get his opinion.  But that price point is really good.  Act fast before these are gone.

mikerobart

Yeah noticed those as well... nice reflectors. Dimmable ballast is kinda cool.

JetJumper

Quote from: Hookup on March 03, 2010, 12:18:03 PM
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=42847.0;topicseen

This is what you want.  I know pat is using 3x250w on his 30" deep tank... you can talk to him more about 34"deep at 250 and get his opinion.  But that price point is really good.  Act fast before these are gone.

They do look like a nice setup for sure, but I think I am set on a 250 - 400 watt ballast so that I can start with a 250 w bulb, and as I add more stuff to the tank, if needed I can go to a 400w bulb with out having to change ballast / reflector.

Hookup

Quote from: mikerobart on March 03, 2010, 01:16:45 PM
Yeah noticed those as well... nice reflectors. Dimmable ballast is kinda cool.

Dimmable is boss.  If you research on Sanjay's page you'll find some bulbs like a bit more juice and some a bit less... with the dimmable option you can get the peak-performance from your system....

beertech

250 MH will be plenty, especially if you are thinking of energy/money.
Coral placement is the key, simply place low light tolerant specimens in the bottom half, higher light  corals near the top.  Most people end up doing this anyway, even with the higher wattage light systems.  If you want to ensure you are getting the most par and penetration, simply use a bulb in the 10-12 K range and supplement with T-5 actinics unless your leds work out properly. 

Gord 

JetJumper

UPDATE On LED Unit.

So after spending a little bit of time trying to come up with an idea on how to light this entire thing up, I finally came up with a plan.

Testing LEDS to make sure they still work perfectly after using Super Glue on them.

Here is a Blue LED Lit

UV LED Lit

Here is a side view, so you can see how I laid it out. (I am not a Professional at this, so it doesn't look awesome. :( )  I still have to solder resistors to each LED then attach the main so it can all be lit at once.  Borrowing a friends Soldering Iron tomorrow to do so.  Mine is Junk!

More to come after the weekend if I survive the solder smoke I am going to expose my lungs to!

ciaus

Quote from: JetJumper on March 03, 2010, 09:09:36 PM
UPDATE On LED Unit.
More to come after the weekend if I survive the solder smoke I am going to expose my lungs to!
Just go into your "orchid" room, and inhale some of the "poppy" plants that you dont have in there....    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

salvini55

Stop walkin all over my buzzz, man. I wanna see where this build is going, ya'll gonna get him busted by the cops. lol

Quote from: JetJumper on March 03, 2010, 09:09:36 PM
Borrowing a friends Soldering Iron tomorrow to do so.  Mine is Junk!

Im mowin what your growin, if your catchin what im throwin.
My iron is junk as well  :(  The light is pretty sweet!

Hookup

Contact Fishdaddy... he has several used, pro-quality soldering iron's that he can hook you up with.  As an obvious DIY guy, you'll want to have one anyhow i'd suspect.

JetJumper

So, when is too much flow an issue.  Well, See pictures below.

I guess the pump is a little more powerful then I thought! HAHAHAHA.  Atleast I know my pumping has no leaks :)  Now I need to grab a few more plumbing parts to cut this flow in half.  I went with a bigger pump, mainly because in the future I do plan to add another tank to the system as a frag tank or shallow tank or the nice 56Gallon Corner Tank I have. :) mmm.. that would look awesome.

Severum

LOL, talk about too much flow through your ref! :)

Toss a ball valve on the output of your pump so you can adjust it and you're good to go!
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef