New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

JetJumper's Tank Build

Started by JetJumper, March 02, 2010, 12:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetJumper

Quote from: Severum on March 04, 2010, 09:35:16 PM
LOL, talk about too much flow through your ref! :)

Toss a ball valve on the output of your pump so you can adjust it and you're good to go!

Thats what I am going to do :)  But the store is closed :(  The Nerve of them closing before 10:00 out in Almonte Area.. haha
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

JetJumper

Plumbing is done! wahoo.. for now.. haha

Next Purchase... RO DI unit.. Any recommendations?  Its going to be 3-4 weeks before I can afford it, so research time!

Also, anyone have any tips on getting the drain quieter?  :|

RossW

Looks good.

Xiaan had a RO/DI unit for sale.

Are those "stainless steal" worm gear clamps under water?  If so, beware.  I picked some up at Lowes and tested one overnight in a shot glass of salt water and in less than 24 hours it had already started to rust... I think it was not the band but the worm screw which was rusting.

Hookup

that drain could be loud due to the size of the hole you put in the cap.  I've been playing with the same design and had some pretty good results, but thats with a much smaller hole.

JetJumper

Quote from: RossW on March 05, 2010, 10:12:34 PM
Looks good.

Xiaan had a RO/DI unit for sale.

Are those "stainless steal" worm gear clamps under water?  If so, beware.  I picked some up at Lowes and tested one overnight in a shot glass of salt water and in less than 24 hours it had already started to rust... I think it was not the band but the worm screw which was rusting.

Message sent to Xiaan, Thanks for the heads up there guys..

As for the worm gear, yes.  I completely forgot about that and thought they wouldn't.. Anyone have other suggestions.  I don't want to glue it, but I don't want that hose popping off either, otherwise there will be a HUGE mess since the pump is rated for 1500GPH @ 0ft.

Severum

Looking good! Your making great progress!

and I love the pants... :)
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

RossW

Quote from: JetJumper on March 05, 2010, 11:39:29 PM
As for the worm gear, yes.  I completely forgot about that and thought they wouldn't.. Anyone have other suggestions.  I don't want to glue it, but I don't want that hose popping off either, otherwise there will be a HUGE mess since the pump is rated for 1500GPH @ 0ft.

I use a couple zip ties, really tight, and am surprised at how well they hold.

I also bought some of these Ratchet Hose Clamps but have yet to try them.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/pumps-and-plumbing/plumbing-sumps-drill-bits-overflows-uniseals/ratchet-hose-clamps

QueensU

You can buy plastic hose clamps to, they push together and lock.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Plastic_Hose_Clamp_3_4_inch_Hose_Clamps_for_Tubing-Spears-FT1513-FIFTTUHC-FT1514-vi.html

(I wouldn't necessarily order them from marine depot, but someone local may have them. Home Depot and Rona don't though, because I have been looking for these too.)

P.s. I was also going to comment on the pants, those are pretty sweet.

ordi260

very nice setup! I have just surprised myself being more exited about the pictures of the plumbing instead of thinking of the final result?   Do you have more sexy plumbing shots like that  ;)  ?  Keep up going the good work!!!

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

JetJumper

24 hour test went well.

Drained the tank so I can work on the stand while I am waiting for funds to raise for the next purchase.

Thanks for the pants comments :P  haha.. Gotta love comfee PJ's :)

So, one thing with the plumbing I don't like, is when its in the sump I can't get it out easily.  So I just ordered one of these:

http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/index/show/product/I3299987/name/union_pvc_sch_80_1_1_2

Now I can remove the drain when I need to easily :)
Comes in Thursday.

JetJumper

So, I redesigned the overflow today not liking how loud it was.  After looking at many different ways to do it, I think with the pieces I had, this will work.  Unliky for me, I drained the tank this morning before trying this out to see the noise levels, so it will be a bit before I can test it out.

Here are some snap shots.  (No pants this time :P)

I am hoping this will be quiet, and its variable so that I can adjust the flows till I figure it out, then I will silicone (NOT GLUE) in place so that I can alter it if need be.

johnrt

Regarding the hose and hose clamp: You might want to try a combination of silicon sealer and zip ties. The zip tie prevents slippage and the silicon sealer prevents leakage. The zip tie can can clipped or nicked with a box knife to remove, then twist the pipe to break the seal of the silicon sealer and you can pull off the pipe.

JetJumper

LED Light Fixture Update.

So, after spending a good few hours inhauling solder fumes, I am done the soldering!!!

I killed 2 LEDs in the unit, which kinda sucks, but over all it will have little effect on the full output.  I might have to build another one in order to provide enough light for this tank design as the LED's are very narrow beamed.  But that will be a while down the road.  For now I have to worry about getting the tank setup.

Yet again, here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

ciaus

Quote from: JetJumper on March 06, 2010, 10:34:23 PM
LED Light Fixture Update.
So, after spending a good few hours inhauling solder fumes, I am done the soldering!!!
I killed 2 LEDs in the unit, which kinda sucks, but over all it will have little effect on the full output.  I might have to build another one in order to provide enough light for this tank design as the LED's are very narrow beamed.  But that will be a while down the road.  For now I have to worry about getting the tank setup.
Yet again, here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.
You mentioned that the LED are very narrow beamed.  That is true, because LED are a directional light source, and as such are one of the characteristics that make them so very highly efficient.  You can see that in how some of the LED's look brighter in the picture, they are closer to being in line to the camera...
This a remarkable project and I thank you for your effort in documenting thus far...  I am very interested in the LED unit.  Can you do a really tight picture of the electrical pathway, what is soldered to what....and specs on the resistors and the LEDS you used?  I am wondering if the type reflector above the LED's would make much, if any difference, given the directional nature of the LED, to light being focused into the water.

Kindest regards,

Ciaus.

JetJumper

Quote from: ciaus on March 07, 2010, 05:14:07 AM
You mentioned that the LED are very narrow beamed.  That is true, because LED are a directional light source, and as such are one of the characteristics that make them so very highly efficient.  You can see that in how some of the LED's look brighter in the picture, they are closer to being in line to the camera...
This a remarkable project and I thank you for your effort in documenting thus far...  I am very interested in the LED unit.  Can you do a really tight picture of the electrical pathway, what is soldered to what....and specs on the resistors and the LEDS you used?  I am wondering if the type reflector above the LED's would make much, if any difference, given the directional nature of the LED, to light being focused into the water.
Kindest regards,
Ciaus.

LED Specs

I need to get some Batteries for my Digital Camera, so far I have just been using my iphone to take pictures.  If I were to do this project again and had to purchase LEDs, I would most likely purchase these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-PCS-10mm-40-1W-Watt-Blue-LED-300mA-250-000mcd-NEW_W0QQitemZ370327969891QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5639446063#ht_3780wt_939

Along with these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-PCS-10mm-40-0-5W-UltraViolet-UV-LED-100mA-35000mcd_W0QQitemZ220408609945QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3351607c99

They have a nice 40Degree viewing angle which would be perfect for a project like this.

new2salt

Along for the ride. :)
This is way too interesting to miss any part of it.
Nice looking project - Great pics and documentation.

JetJumper

High Rez photos of LED Light.
(I shrunk the pictures.. they were WAY to LARGE!!!)

ciaus

JetJumper

I am not the greatest person at soldering, so its a bit messy.. But over all I am liking the effect of the light :)  Cant wait for corals to test it on :) I might setup a small frag tank down the road and try it with this to see the effects on frags specifically.