New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Here it is... 20 gallon nano tank build

Started by ordi260, March 17, 2010, 07:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharbuckle

looking good, looks just like my old 20 when i first started it, i would do a %25 water change weekly, or a bigger one bi-weekly, what are your stocking ideas?

Vincenzo.

Keep ur lights off for 2-3months. Water change 15-20% weekly.  add 1hermit and 3snails in a month, or a single damsel or chromis ..

ordi260

All the stuff that was suspended in the water has now settled down...water is almost crystal clear...whats next?  How much time to wait?  Any daily task?

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

ordi260

Quote from: Sharbuckle on March 23, 2010, 09:36:18 AM
looking good, looks just like my old 20 when i first started it, i would do a %25 water change weekly, or a bigger one bi-weekly, what are your stocking ideas?

For cleaning crew:
4-5 mixed snails
3-4 blueleg hermits
1-2 redleg hermits (are they reef safe?)

Fish:
I am thinking about a pair of true perc or 1 true perc and 1 six line wrasse.

Corals (eventually)...
Bubble Coral
Torch Coral
Elegance coral
long tentacle plate coral
pulsing xenias
Eventually some lps (havent read much about them yet)

[li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
[/list]

nissannx

get all red legs if you still want your snails lol.. blue legs are vicious

mikerobart

Well the torch, elegance, and plate are considered lps. Red legs definitely safer than blue. Scarlets good too. Blues you will lose snails more often as mentioned.

QueensU

Keep in mind that LPS corals like torch, elegance, frogspawn, etc will take up a lot of real estate when they are fully extended. They also don't play nicely with others, e.g. they will sting zoas and mushrooms, etc. Its a good idea to roughly plan out where you will put things before you get them (and remember to plan for their size at full extension).

Vincenzo.

if you want nice 20g (just my opinion again) .. forget the plane shrooms, and brown/green zoas.... if you want shrooms just pick up Ricordia's, both floridas & yumas. i know they are expensive, but they have awesome color variations and they are SOOOOOO easy to frag. 1 shroom at 20-50$ can be made into min 4 in a matter of seconds. an say u spend 40$ .. and frag it to 4... keep 2 and sell the other 2 for 20$ each.. boombap u just got free Ric's as for zoas bite the bullet and pick up Aussie frags.

ordi260

Another little update...tank is cycling nicely so far...

Made some purchases...

Reef Octopus BH-100F

Im having a couple of problems with it...if your interested you can see this thread!

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=43418.0

More to come soon!

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

cn

Quote from: Vince. on March 27, 2010, 12:02:58 PM
if you want nice 20g (just my opinion again) .. forget the plane shrooms, and brown/green zoas.... if you want shrooms just pick up Ricordia's, both floridas & yumas. i know they are expensive, but they have awesome color variations and they are SOOOOOO easy to frag. 1 shroom at 20-50$ can be made into min 4 in a matter of seconds. an say u spend 40$ .. and frag it to 4... keep 2 and sell the other 2 for 20$ each.. boombap u just got free Ric's as for zoas bite the bullet and pick up Aussie frags.

I have some rics forsale if you want to try fragging it  :)
By the way very good progress so far. Good luck in this very rewarding ( & expensive) hobby  ;)

ordi260

Quote from: cn on March 29, 2010, 05:31:37 PM
I have some rics forsale if you want to try fragging it  :)
By the way very good progress so far. Good luck in this very rewarding ( & expensive) hobby  ;)

Thanks!  I soon as the tank is ready to accomodate corals ill drop you a line!

Right now im trying to get my skimmer less loud and bubbly...

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

ordi260

Test results of the march 30th

Temp 80.5
Rel. Gravity 1.023
Ph 7.9
Ammonia 0.50
Nitrite 0.2
Nitrate 5
Phosphate 0.25

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

ordi260

Hey guys!

Here is a little tease of the things to come today:

New stand to house ATO and dosing stuff
Another test results batch
Pictures from my little RO/DI transport rig
Up to date tank pics

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

ordi260

Ok here is a picture update!!!

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

ordi260

Ok so here i am trying to figure out what i will need in the following months (shopping list).

Here is what I have so far...tell me what you think about it and also if you think some major stuff is missing...

-Aqua Lifter Vacuum Pump (for auto top off)

-2 part dosing starting kit (calcium, alk and mag dosing)...I need confirmation that its a wise choice in my tank size

-RKM-PC4 Power Bar Module - Digital Aquatics (already have one...its working flawlessly so far and i miss some outlets  :D )

-Dual Bracket ReefKeeper Float Switch Kit - Digital Aquatics (For auto top off)

-ReefKeeper Elite SL2 pH and Salinity Module - Digital Aquatics (I need the switch ports on it for auto top off and ill buy PH and salinity probes later on)

-kH/Alkalinity Test Kit

-Test Kit - Magnesium    

-Test Kit - Calcium

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

93GTCANADA

Looking good. Was your wife drinking the bud lime lol

ordi260

Yesterday's Test results

Temp 80.5
Rel. Gravity 1.023
Ph 7.9
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.1
Nitrate 2
Phosphate 0.25

How about adding some cleaner crew in this weekend???

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

RossW

I would not add a thing until your 'trite is 0.

RossW

Your pH seems a little on the low side.  What is your alk?