New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My New Build - Built To Giveaway

Started by Saltcreep, September 27, 2010, 10:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saltcreep

I've been working on this for over a month now. I built it from scratch for a young friend of mine who was absolutely amazed last Christmas when my Yellow Labs made some babies. She's into all things buggy, fishy, creepy crawly and squishy. She's also the reason I started the thread about kids and the OVAS. Just installed it in her bedroom tonight and it fits in perfectly. She has been incredibly patient. Anyway, I promised some pics of the finished product and here they are. The tape on the corners is just there to hold the corner trim until the silicone dries. I'll post some final ones when she's done her decorating and whatever. Thanks to Funkmotor for the T5 fixture, it's perfect. In the end, I really wanted to keep this for myself. Hard to see scale in the pictures, but it's a 30" X 12" tank, about 24 gallons. The whole thing is 52" tall.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hookup

I'm sure you know this already, but you are officially someones hero.  Congratulations, it is an achievement to be proud of.

Saltcreep

Quote from: Hookup on September 27, 2010, 10:13:36 PM
I'm sure you know this already, but you are officially someones hero.  Congratulations, it is an achievement to be proud of.

Thanks, she was one happy little girl. I'll get her on to OVAS eventually.

White Lightning

FocusFin

110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Brent Shaver

Vincenzo.

Sharbuckle

are you taking orders? 40 gallon please  ;D

barabe

What a beautiful piece of work!!! Congratulations...

Malyon18

"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

dan2x38

Saltcreep top notch job! What Hookup said about being someone's hero I am sure you are! Making this for a kid makes it that much more special this is what the hobby is all about introducing others young and old to it. If it is saltwater she decides on let me know I'd donate somethng for it piece rock or a frag, something...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Saltcreep

Quote from: dan2x38 on September 27, 2010, 11:53:01 PM
........If it is saltwater she decides on let me know I'd donate somethng for it piece rock or a frag, something...

Who knows, maybe a while down the road. If she ever progresses to a SW setup, you can bet I'll be on here looking for help.

RoxyDog

That's a beautiful little tank for a girl's bedroom.  Great job, she's very lucky!
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Rybren

120G Reef

Saltcreep

Many thanks for all the kind words. It was a fun build, for a good cause, and I think it came out pretty well. Sure looks nice in her room. It has a few warts (like most things I do) but I'm probably the only one who'd notice them. Just for paint alone, between primer and finishing enamel I used seven cans of spray paint. My workshop took a bit of a beating too. There's a bit of a white haze over almost everything.  ::) ::)

Thanks again.

Laura

700 gal pond - Rosy reds

new2salt

Sweeeeet 8)
Nice work   :)

Quote from: Sharbuckle on September 27, 2010, 11:04:02 PM
are you taking orders? 40 gallon please  ;D
I'll take one too ;D
36 x 18 tank foot print & 32" high
I have compressor and paint spray guns, I will do the paint finish, so you can keep the shop clean.
Thanks ;)

cerne

it is very nicely done that stack of beer bottles back there did you go through all those while making it if so that is some mad talent!

Saltcreep

Quote from: cerne on October 14, 2010, 09:24:30 PM
it is very nicely done that stack of beer bottles back there did you go through all those while making it if so that is some mad talent!

I wondered when someone was going to comment on that. I knew I should have closed that door. For some reason, we find it a lot easier to bring them in than bring them back. I just look at the stash as money in the bank.

cerne

there have to be 36 cases of 24's at least lol that's assuming there isn't another row behind the other ones. that just adds up to alot of fun times i'm sure lol and ya money in the bank eventually when you bring a moving truck:P

Saltcreep

Quote from: cerne on October 14, 2010, 09:50:06 PM
there have to be 36 cases of 24's at least lol that's assuming there isn't another row behind the other ones. that just adds up to alot of fun times i'm sure lol and ya money in the bank eventually when you bring a moving truck:P

Take my word for this - I am NOT going to tell you how many there actually are. ;D

cerne

btw if the little girl goes FW community id be happy to donate a few guppies as i breed them:) and hopefully soon will be breeding some tuxedo platies:) The guppies are trained odd as that may sound 1-2 taps on the glass they go to the top for dinner put your finger in and they nibble your finger very friendly lol o and they follow your finger around the tank.

and i trust ya im sure there are just about enough bottles to cover the costs of the paint you used lol

JetJumper

Hes hoping inflation will increase the deposit value to atleast 100-200% what it is now :)  Better return then savings accounts! :P
.: JetJumper's Zone :.