New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My 28g Nano HQI build

Started by smalltownfan, October 28, 2010, 08:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smalltownfan

For the past several months I've been salting away a little extra money to get into the SW world. I've been researching and keeping up to date on several websites, including OVAS of course, and have been looking forward to starting a build of my own. My original plan was for a 55g build w/20g sump ....BUT.....I saw an amazing deal on a JBJ 28g Nano w/ HQI lighting, so I bought it. The 55g is not forgotten, just delayed a few weeks. The 28g will be a stepping stone. The Mrs. gets a Nano for the office and I can get a 55 for the den!!!

The 28g is going in the home office and was placed tonight. The kittens were super curious so I invited them in, pic attached. Tomorrow it's going to be rinse the aragonite and start the set-up. Not sure how or where this build will go so I'll keep you posted.

Salt world here I come!  ...but I'm still keeping my 90g S/A biotope. (Still love the "Green Side")

I'm looking forward to your comments and will be asking for your advice and experience to assist, (with possibly a few boompas included of course.)

PS.  The kittens were looking at the stoopid dog.
Hank

[attachment deleted by admin]
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

Hookup

Nice looking aquascape IMO...  Not PETA friendly, but I'm ok with that...

That looks like a nice start and 29g is a good size...

smalltownfan

Started up Friday afternoon, here it is at 18 hours. Live rock next weekend. Got the centre piece at Fishtail.

[attachment deleted by admin]
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

smalltownfan

Couple of questions;
Do I really need to buy test kits marked for SW. I have my test kit for FW, can I use the Ammonia, PH and Nitrite?
My water is still a little on the cloudy side even though I keep changing the filter pads, superfine polishing pads that work real well in my 90g. Should I just do a big water change to get clearer water?
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

Malyon18

I use the same test kits I used for my cichlid tank and they work fine, doing weekly water changes keeps all my parameters perfect. As for the cloudy water I used filer floss for a few days and I find once I added all my LR the cloudy water went away within a day.
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

White Lightning

Nice start Hank. Welcome to the world of salt. It's a lot of fun.

Is that DIY rock or actual live rock?

I recommend using filter floss as well. Every time I have started a new tank I use filter floss to clear things up and it works great. As for teh test kits....I'm not sure I don't test very often. As mentioned above, weekly water changes should keep parametres in check.

What are you thinking for fish/inverts?

smalltownfan

Thanks guys, I'll pick up some floss. The rock (25lbs) I have is sculptured and I picked it up to be tight against the back wall and provide ledges for corals. I've reserved some live rock and will be picking it up Friday.

Since I'm new to the game, I think I'll keep it simple at first. My grandchildren are amazed and will sit for quite a while looking into the tanks so I'd like colour and movement. Clean up crew, a few fish that won't play shy and some soft corals that will move in the current. For this tank; lots of colour. This build will give me the chance to try a few things before I go to the larger tank.
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

new2salt

Very nice start.
Welcome to the wonderful world of salt.
Hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us.

RoxyDog

Welcome to the salty side.  :)  Your test kits should have a separate card (or perhaps on the back of the FW one) for SW.
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Saltcreep

You might want to consider the pillow stuffing floss you can buy at Walmart. 100% polyester and works great. Many people use it and the price difference is staggering compared to the official, 'fishy' stuff you get at the LFS. Does the same job, IMO.

White Lightning

smalltownfan

Poor quality pictures, got to get a better camera.
Tank cycled nicely, all parameters on the mark, PH is the only issue, 7.8

Added:
10 hermits
3 turbo snails

Starting a week later, over the course of a week;
Cleaner shrimp
Royal Gamma
Duncan
2 small zoa clusters
2 feather dusters
Torch
Starburst polyp

FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

Hookup

Nice looking... Very nice to see the Gramma out and center... they can be hit or miss when it comes to hiding or visible... looks like you have a show-off...

smalltownfan

We'e enjoying the setup. I've put in lots of nano pieces. When they grow out I'll need a bigger tank :D
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

smalltownfan

It's been 9 months now. Lots of lessons learned. It's a lot of fun. Looking over pictures I have taken I can't believe how the corals have grown and filled in.
All of the original stock is still in there, except for the cleaner and peppermint shrimp. I can't seen to get them to live. I haven't seen my pistol shrimp and watchman goby since January, but from all of the substrate movement at night I know they are still there.
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

Cheebs

Beauty Hank, it's looking great!

Hookup