New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

peninsula 125

Started by tom_phillips22, January 06, 2011, 05:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom_phillips22

so for some reason 75 gallon wasn't enough so now im upgrading after just 4 month i the hobby to a 125 with a 25 for a mantis shrimp on the side i am almost finished the custom stand but still haven't got the tank drilled still trying to find someone who can do it for me and kinda scratching my head on the best way to do the plumbing any advice would be appreciated on the best way to connect the 2 tanks that are on top and the 2 sumps on the bottom

Malyon18

What are you using to post pics (pohotbucket?), if so you can shrink the size of the picture which will make it smaller memory wise and you will be able to post it
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

tom_phillips22

i was hoping to have 1 sump for each tank and than just connect the two sumps together so they share the same water make it easier i hope but i still would like some input on what some people with more experience think and what is the best way to have my drains done so i don't have flow issues

Hookup

tom_phillips22

Thanks i do it all day long so coming home sometimes to work on it is kinda a pain but its coming.
Im still not sure if i am gonna build a hood or leave it open any thoughts? and still haven't heard anything on the plumbing issue

Saltcreep

Pesonally, I always use a hood or canopy, mostly because I don't like the unfinished look of a system without one. I have nine display tanks in my fishroom and if the ambient light from all of the lighting fixtures (especially, the MH) wasn't contained somehow, the room would look like a tanning salon. I like to be able to see just the tanks, in an otherwise dimly lit room. Helps to contain potential carpet-surfers too if your tank isn't covered.

tom_phillips22

so with that said what  kinda clearance would i need for my lights if any the biggest problem is since my setup is in a L shape it would be a very big and heave hood that i would need to suspend from my ceiling i guess maybe ill take a trip into the attic and see what kinda support i have  :D

Saltcreep

Quote from: tom_phillips22 on January 07, 2011, 05:05:44 PM
so with that said what  kinda clearance would i need for my lights if any the biggest problem is since my setup is in a L shape it would be a very big and heave hood that i would need to suspend from my ceiling i guess maybe ill take a trip into the attic and see what kinda support i have  :D

Why would you need to suspend it? You obviously have the skills to custom build something that would sit on the tank. A couple of mine don't even have tops, just sides. Assuming you can work out a way to support the lighting as you would without a canopy, and you go with no top, I can't see weight being a huge issue. Also, without a top panel, you won't have to worry so much about venting heat, and the tank remains accessible for feedings and maintenance.

tom_phillips22

ok i figured it out will post pics when i finish it :) thanks still waiting on plumbing advice

tom_phillips22

i have finally arranged to get my tank drilled tomorrow and i am still debating what amount of flow i want going through my sump looking on the internet i have found they say between 5x-10x the volume of the main tank but it seams like a lot to me
any advice on what you think is a decent amount of flow 1000gph? less ?
also i noticed on one of the other builds here the box where the tank is drilled its a triangle instead of a box is there any advantage of doing it this way?

salvini55

it takes up less space  ;)

tom_phillips22

So both tanks are drilled thanks to ray  :) tank plumbing is done everything is installed almost ready for water and more fish and coral