New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Getting back into hobby... 75 Gallon Tank Build... Suggestions?

Started by aumontmatthew, March 17, 2011, 09:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aumontmatthew

Okay so I have been out of the hobby for about 1.5 - 2 years and I am back in Ottawa.

I am planning on building a 75 G mixed reef ... we 40 G sump in my basement... it will be an in-wall build.

Looking for suggestions for all aspects on this tank.. lighting, skimmer, sump design, return pump, RO/DI unit, powerheads, how much sand, how much rock, what kind of rock... etc etc...

Open to all suggestions.. I am not looking to spend a fortune, I would like to try and get the best equipment but at a decent price.

I am going to pick up the tank from Big Als for $109.99, order a diamond hole saw from hong kong to cut my hole, pickup the overflow box from Marinescape and pick up my plumbing from Canus plastics.

For the sump I will either go 36" 40G breeder ($99.99 at Big Als), or 48" 40G long tank ($109.99 at Big Als).... which would you choose and why?

Return pump?  Oceanrunner 4000?  Or Mag 9.5?  Mag 7?

Skimmer... looking at a bunch of different ones... Bubble Magus, Tunze, Reef Octopus.... those are the ones in my price range... Which one and why?

Lighting... maybe a 4x54W T5HO or 6x54W T5HO.... or I might even consider 48x 3W Cree LED DIY build that a guy did on Reefcentral... would cost about $600 but never have to change bulbs.  Almost a no brainer here for the overall cost savings over 10 years.

Will post pics once things start going... nothing yet other than a 2x4 stand build and ready to accept a tank.

aumontmatthew

Okay... I think I have decided to forgo the diy led build and pickup a Deep Blue Solar Extreme 4x54W T5HO fixture from Marinescape for $299.99 (with bulbs and timers, and led moonlights built in).  Can't beat it for the price, then in 8 months replace the bulbs with some nicer ones.

For a sump I am going to pick up a 40G breeder to have a bigger footprint for a nice skimmer, or would I be  better off with a 40G long to make sure bubbles disappear?

I think I am going to go with a MAG 9.5 for the return pump.

Malyon18

Not to sure if the mag will be enough of a pump, how much head do you expect to have? Also depending how much flow you are looking to get through your sump
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

omarh

as maylon said, i depends on the head, but i have a mag9.5 on my 90gal but i only have about 3feet head or so...maybe 4....the sump is just underneath the stand. now if your sump was in the basement and tank on main floor then ya i wouldn't think the mag 95 would be enough.

SWFitzy

do NOT buy a new tank for sump. You should be able to pick up a used tank for under $40. Instead of spending $100 on a new one. If your trying to do this build on a budget or limited funds, look on all the used sites for equiptment at the fraction of the cost.

aumontmatthew

Good point about used tank for a sump.... Hard to find 40g breeder used though.

The sump is below tank... Approx 36" plus height of tank 21".... So thats just under 5 feet.

I think a mag9.5 should be ok... But im open to suggestions.

Malyon18

I thought in the original post you mentioned having the sump in the basement?

omarh

that's closeto whawt i have, tank is 24" and stand is about 4 feet high. Mag9.5 and i'm teeing off to supply myt refugium as well. It should be fine, go for it.

Malyon18

OHHHHHH LOL now I get it, alright then ya a mag 9.5 would be plenty for your setup

Hookup

Why use a small sump if in basement?  Why not put a massive sump in and gain so many advantages from larger water volumes?

NjOyRiD

Matt, why dont you come tomorrow on SW discussion at 8pm here on ovas chat
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

aumontmatthew

Just ordered my RO/DI unit.

http://www.bwiplumbing.com/products/SR-Elite-HE-100GPD-RO%7B47%7DDI-1%3A1--%28PRE%252dORDER-SALE%29.html

claims to only use 1 gallon of waste water to 1 gallon of pure 0 tds water.  talked to the owner and he knows his stuff.

I got lucky and got the real pre-order sale that was $198.00 + free Fedex overnight shipping.

Can't beat that deal.

aumontmatthew

Got a 40G breeder to use as a sump, like new for $60.

Ordered a 75G with tinted V-style coast to coast overflow from Fishtail aquariums... should be ready by early next week with dual 1.5" bulkheads and flat strainers to keep snails from going down my overflow plumbing.

Need to plan out my sump and return plumbing.... any suggestions?

SWFitzy

just curious, how much is the tank costing. what is the glass thickness?

aumontmatthew

Well it is just a standard Marineland 75G tank (48" x 18" x 20") that they are drilling two holes for the bulkheads in the backglass along with installing a tinted piece of glass on an angle... think it is costing me around $400 all said and done.

aumontmatthew

Well I picked up the tank from the guys at Fish Tail today.  They were amazing and gave me a great deal on this tank.

They installed a tinted piece of 1/4" (6mm) glass the whole length of the tank, drilled 2 holes and installed 2 1.5" bulkheads. 

Let me know what you think.

Now on to the plumbing stage.

Also a view of my 10G to be quarantine tank that I picked up for $10 including tank, stand, light, aquaclear filter, 100w submersible heater.  (Great find on Kijiji).

Any suggestions for plumbing this system I would be open to listening.

Thanks!

Greatwhite

I haven't seen anyone suggest a skimmer yet...  You should go into Fishtail and take a real nice close look at the BM NAC 6...  They have one running on their coral tank, and it's silent there.  I just got a NAC 6 from them on Saturday, and couldn't be happier. 

It's got a decent sized footprint, large capacity inside to generate and hold more bubbles - which I guess is good. :)  It was very easy to set up, since it was already built.  I just put it in my sump and turned it on.  The best part, which I'm sure is common for in-sump skimmers is the drain line on the collection cup.  It's handy when you're running it wet after a water change because you can just let it drain directly into a bucket.

AND - it's VERY quiet.

This thing's a beast, in my opinion, and very good for the price.  I read alot about the BM skimmers before buying this one, and am very happy so far.

My ONLY complaint can't really be directed at the skimmer.. but - it's just over 19" tall, and I can JUST fit it in my sump compartment.  Just poor design of my stand, really.  I can get the cup off for cleaning when I have to, so it's really not a big deal.  I've seen taller skimmers out there. 

This one is sitting in about 8" of water only, and working beautifully.  There are no bubbles going into my DT now.

In regards to your sump design,  you can greatly reduce the noise from the overflow and the bubbles into the sump itself with a bubble tower.  I have an Aqueon Proflex sump with a bubble tower.  Google that sump, and you might get an idea of how to set up the baffles and such, and how to build the tower. :)

aumontmatthew

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion.  I was actually there a couple weeks ago and I was looking at the NAC6.  I think that is the way I am going to go.

Will keep everyone updated as I move along with the setup.... on a bit of a hold due to funds in the bank lol.

fishtail

Wow. That's gonna be quite the nice setup for your basement, Matt! Nice job on the woodwork for the aquarium!

Thunda

aumontmatthew

Darn... I have decided that I cannot continue with this build and everything is now for sale in the For Sale section!

My loss is someone's gain as there is some great stuff to be had at a decent discount.

The new stuff that is still in boxes I am selling a little below what I paid and you also save the taxes!

Check it out.