New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

80 gallon tank build

Started by matycake, August 21, 2011, 03:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matycake

I'm new to salt water so I'm looking for any tips to keep my tank healthy, i do not have any room for a sump, all tip are appreciated
mat

Malyon18

Hey Mat,

I think a little description of your tank setup and maintenance routines would help us help you out a lot more. Let's hear about your setup :)
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

lonereefer

Hey there, my set up is a 120 gallon mixed reef wich has been up and running for about 3 years now and very healthy and I've never had a sump or skimmer of any sort just regulard water changes do the trick ..... Also for you just begining don't RUSH because only bad thing happen fast in salt systems

Hookup

Water changes...  10% per week is worth it's wait in gold!

matycake

sand - 50 pounds
liverock - i have about 30pounds so far 12pounds man made the rest Fiji
power head - only have 2 for now 750 and a 1050
lighting - nothing fancy yet using my lighting from my fresh water setup
and planning on take my time to set it up

bt

What do you plan on keeping?

matycake

I'm going to start off with some tangs , more the likely

JetJumper

Quote from: matycake on August 22, 2011, 06:10:02 PM
I'm going to start off with some tangs , more the likely

Please define "some" because a lot of tangs need tanks atleast 120g+  So really you can't have much in an 80g tank tang wise.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Darth

Quote from: JetJumper on August 22, 2011, 08:55:56 PM
Please define "some" because a lot of tangs need tanks atleast 120g+  So really you can't have much in an 80g tank tang wise.

brotherluv

Hi Mat,

In order to keep multiple tangs in an aquarium setup you need to have at least twice as much space as you've got. Most people I've talked to would argue the only tang which is close to suitable for 80g is a yellow tang and only one!  They are such beautiful fish though you only need one. You should think about reading online the different types of SW fish, which are compatible and make a list of fish that can live together that you like.  Once you've made a list and this  is probably most important...slowly add them until you've no more room for fish.  It isn't the same bio load requirements with SW compared to FW so select wisely.  If  I were you I wouldn't start with a tang at all. You should think about  starting with a couple of clown fish or a goby.  They are less expensive and will help you to afford the appropriate amount of live rock you'll need (which is at least another 50 lbs.  Your lights will be fine until you start adding certain types of corals.  I'd probably grab another powerhead after you get more liverock. Good luck :)

CS

Greatwhite

Quote from: matycake on August 22, 2011, 04:25:54 PM
lighting - nothing fancy yet using my lighting from my fresh water setup

More specific?  Just a single fluorescent tube? 2 flashlights duct taped to the top?  Lighting is pretty important in salt tanks, even if you are just planning on keeping fish only.  The wrong light will cause some pretty nasty algae growth, not to mention unhappy fish.

What kind of sand?  I suspect that with an 80G, you'll want more a little more than 50 pounds.  Keep your eyes open in the classifieds for people selling off their live rock and sand.  You can get some good deals that way.

bt

Quote from: brotherluv on August 23, 2011, 09:04:50 AMMost people I've talked to would argue the only tang which is close to suitable for 80g is a yellow tang and only one!

I wouldn't put a Yellow tang in to a tank that size.  I'd go at least 5' long and 100 gallons for them.  They're active swimmers, and an 80g would be cramped for an adult.

Kole tangs, Brown tangs (not Powder Brown) and Chocolate/Yellow Mimic tangs (not the same as a "Yellow tang") are more suitable for 80 gallons.  But you're right about having only one.

brotherluv

Personally I wouldn't have any tang unless I had a 120g setup or larger.

matycake

OK so i guess its a no go on the tangs Ive heard that 80 gallon would be fine but i guess they where wrong,
for the lighting i have double fluorescent tubes one blue and one white,
what kind of fish would be good for my 80 gallon, i would like alot of movement/ active fish.\
mat
thanks for all your help once again

JetJumper

Quote from: matycake on August 23, 2011, 04:54:56 PM
OK so i guess its a no go on the tangs Ive heard that 80 gallon would be fine but i guess they where wrong,
for the lighting i have double fluorescent tubes one blue and one white,
what kind of fish would be good for my 80 gallon, i would like alot of movement/ active fish.\
mat
thanks for all your help once again

I would recommend some blenny's, goby's, pair of clowns, 5-6 Chromis', maybe some Firefish, 1 yellow Tang.  Something along those lines.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

matycake

i really like the look of a dwarf lionfish but don't know if it would be a good fish to start with

Hookup

Quote from: matycake on August 23, 2011, 04:54:56 PM
.....i would like alot of movement/ active fish.\

Quote from: matycake on August 23, 2011, 07:17:20 PM
i really like the look of a dwarf lionfish but don't know if it would be a good fish to start with

LOL!  You sound like me! 

matycake

Quote from: Hookup on August 23, 2011, 07:26:37 PM

LOL!  You sound like me! 

sounds like a good friendship in the making  :P

Severum

A dwarf lionfish is a great starter fish if thats all you want to have in the tank. Clowns, gobies, chromis, firefish will make for expensive snacks. :)

Oh and lets not forget the venomous spines.  ???
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

matycake

OK so tanks  all set up now have my clean up crew and 5 fish , 2 green chromis, 2 other chromis not sure of the name and a butterfly will take some pics later on today

Hookup

Looking forward to the pic's!