New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New 90 Gallon setup requesting help

Started by mmaisonneuve, August 23, 2011, 07:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmaisonneuve

Hi guys

Just decided to upgrade my Nano to a 90 Gallon with a 50 Gallon Sump. I've got 100 pound of dry base rock, around 150 pound of sand (I'll be able to put some sand in the refugarium area of the Sump)

Now couple things I have not decided onto yet the return pump....MAG (MAG 7) or Eheim (Eheim Compact+ 3000 Pump or a Eheim 1260 Pump) Not sure here what to use.

Same with the skimmer....and does the skimmer need a second pump to ? or does some have it included ?

Finally the heater how big and what brand or model ?
90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

Greatwhite

Skimmer should come with a pump.. I'm sure that there are some out there that don't - but I haven't seen it. :)  I like my Bubble Magus 6.  It seems to have the most bang for the buck these days.

As for a heater...  I have a Jager 300watt in my 90.  It's about 18" long, and seems to be keeping the tank a good temperature.  With a big sump like you are going to have, you might want to consider using 2 though.

Rybren

If you haven't done this already, I'd start soaking the base rock.  Some types leach out a ton of phosphates and IMHO it's better to get rid of it before putting the rocks into your tank.
120G Reef

mmaisonneuve

90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

mmaisonneuve

Got the Base rock from Marcos they state that they are soak in a deep well ? Seems like they are reputable but thank for the advice I'll do soak them again....for how long ?

FocusFin

Congratulations, sounds like a great choice.

For long time I used a Quiet One 3000 which is a fairly small pump and had no problems at all pumping 5 feet to the tank.

I upgraded to a much more powerful ECO1584 pump which ,you guessed it, pumps 1584 gph but noticed an increase in tank temperature .

If heat is an issue in the summer you may want to find a pump with a lower wattage so there is less heat transfer.
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Hookup

not sure on those return pumps, but I have a question for you that will help understand the return pumps you listed.

My question is, are you planning a low-flow sump or a high-flow sump?  

For a low-flow i'd target between 400gph and 700gph for return (as a rule of thumb, which I hate rules of thumbs)

The ideal is to look at the gph ratings for your skimmer (and other sump devices) and see what they are looking for and match that to your setup...  Of course, not all skimmers have this, in fact most do not, which is not good for us consumers... so we are left with rules of thumb... meh