New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My First Tank in Ottawa

Started by MJChang, February 21, 2012, 09:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJChang

btw, anyone knows where in ottawa to buy some lanthanum chloride?

wanna add some more live rocks into the sump with some mangroves

kole18

I've got 2 mangroves in my sump which isn't doing well but my cheatos is really growing crazy, this is helping my tank actually for nitrates & phospate as well my pods for mandarin:)

MJChang

i have some chaeto in my sump but it doesnt grow well

kole18

Maybe add a bit of flow & lights too ;D

MJChang

Quote from: kole18 on February 25, 2012, 06:57:39 PM
Maybe add a bit of flow & lights too ;D

yup, i'm considerin changin the lightin of sump seriously

now i'm just usin a home depot bought lamp 25w

MJChang

some pix after alcohol accident

MJChang

well, after acohol accident, the ritteri is really doing badly with lots of tentacle tips rotten up

MJChang

now all the sps's suffer RTN

have yet to figure out the reason triggered the plague

kole18

Marx

i believe it might be the yeast found in beer.

yeast causes all sorts of bacteria in different forms that can occure in different habitats.

water changes, and more water changes till you've done 100% over a few days. run a butt load of carbon, even run purigen for a bit.

hopefully this helps!!

MJChang

i'm afraid its aefw infection

will be waitin and stop addin new sps's for a while

kole18

Just do a water change, don't run carbon or gfo let it settle down the tank for week & start running carbon & gfo. When my sps starting to bleached I always took off my gfo, I don't really use carbon in my tank it will strip & will causes sucking off all your nutrients in your water. I hate to say this I don't really run gfo or carbon in my sump for the last 3 months & what's in my sump just cheatos & sanbed of caribic seamud plus LR's , skimmer. If I was you i wouldn't run carbon & gfo for a week, just do a water change to replenish all those toxic in your water & turn of your daylight bulb & leave the actinic on atleast a day to reduced the stress of your corals.

kole18

It sucks once one of your sps start to bleach you assumed it will also start on the other corals too. A few months ago I've lost 2 colony of sps I think that causes of rtn its the gfo I haven't change lately. I took it off & did a lot water change finally it did recovery from rtn, but one my fav colony the cherry tip digitaper didn't make it even if i did frag it :(

Hookup

Quote from: MJChang on March 14, 2012, 10:39:36 PM
i'm afraid its aefw infection

will be waitin and stop addin new sps's for a while

do you dip your corals in anything before adding them?

MJChang

yup, tm pro coral cure

i took some out and dipped last nite

closely examined'em and figured out no signs of infection

today i got a florescent green tip ritteri and quarantined the ritteri i had who was doin pretty poor

i'll just wait'n see what'll be happenin

the worst is i gotta restart the system. sigh :'(

MJChang

Quote from: kole18 on March 14, 2012, 11:49:30 PM
Just do a water change, don't run carbon or gfo let it settle down the tank for week & start running carbon & gfo. When my sps starting to bleached I always took off my gfo, I don't really use carbon in my tank it will strip & will causes sucking off all your nutrients in your water. I hate to say this I don't really run gfo or carbon in my sump for the last 3 months & what's in my sump just cheatos & sanbed of caribic seamud plus LR's , skimmer. If I was you i wouldn't run carbon & gfo for a week, just do a water change to replenish all those toxic in your water & turn of your daylight bulb & leave the actinic on atleast a day to reduced the stress of your corals.

thanks, kole

i'm really considerin shuttin down the gfo. I've removed the sucks and the phosguard in it. phosguard is much more horrible sucker compared with gfo.

dakrazyone

yea, gfo's , pellets, carbon can be great additions to any tank, but i think there needs to be more control on output.  I guess they work too well only downside is controlling stability.  I tend to run them on and off.

MJChang

Quote from: dakrazyone on March 15, 2012, 09:37:07 PM
yea, gfo's , pellets, carbon can be great additions to any tank, but i think there needs to be more control on output.  I guess they work too well only downside is controlling stability.  I tend to run them on and off.

second thought can also be given to the addition of two powerheads. changes of wave sometimes bring trouble, 2

however, if so, it's the most optimistic situation.

checked water parameters. all ok.

Hookup

Quote from: MJChang on February 25, 2012, 07:37:27 PM
some pix after alcohol accident

This one still look drunk... HAHAHAHAHA

MJChang

:P

very bad skills of photographin

my professor was so desperate about it