New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Looking for...

Started by Hookup, November 11, 2012, 07:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hookup

Why are there so many looking for... type threads that are not being moderated?

There is a looking for type forum in the classifieds.  Members only as we all know.

When I was looking for something (peppermints and CBB) my thread was deleted by moderators.

I see at least a 1/2 dozen threads that are "looking for" threads, that never get deleted/modified.

My question; what makes a "looking for..." thread one that violates the "rules" vs the many other ones that are left alone?

PS: this might be seen as stirring the pot, but I'm kind of tired of being moderated.

Papou

Be careful you'll be banished      :)

charlie

Quote from: Papou on November 11, 2012, 07:20:09 PM
Be careful you'll be banished      :)
No he won`t, he is perfectly right about the looking for  getting around the rules, they will all be removed.
Hookup i apologize for the delay of these post been dealt with, the truth is  the people who moderates was fully occupied with the Petexpo & the one moderator who was l
babysitting the forum did ask the exec. for clarification on all the reports, that was just done as i just got in from tearing down @ the expo after spending the entire day there  as we did yesterday.
Regards Charlie

Hookup

robt18

I haven't asked any execs/mods about this and just got bal from Montreal so haven't checked if it's been further looked into.... But I believe the rule is that...

If you are looking to buy a certain item second hand or from someone on the site, it's considered a LF ad. If you're trying to find something at a store then you can ask around. Typically your basic items (fish stuff and staple livestock) can be found at any store, so there's no need to ask. More obscure items or things that aren't made for fish keeping can be much more difficult to find, and if someone can point them in the right direction it is welcome.

So realistically, if it seems like something that you will be directed to find then it's ok, but you're tryin to get around the classifieds it'll be deleted.

Hookup

Quote from: robt18 on November 11, 2012, 08:57:07 PM
I haven't asked any execs/mods about this and just got bal from Montreal so haven't checked if it's been further looked into.... But I believe the rule is that...

If you are looking to buy a certain item second hand or from someone on the site, it's considered a LF ad. If you're trying to find something at a store then you can ask around. Typically your basic items (fish stuff and staple livestock) can be found at any store, so there's no need to ask. More obscure items or things that aren't made for fish keeping can be much more difficult to find, and if someone can point them in the right direction it is welcome.

So realistically, if it seems like something that you will be directed to find then it's ok, but you're tryin to get around the classifieds it'll be deleted.

You'd think so, but then I'd have to question why my post was deleted.  I posted a generic "looking for  peppermits and CBB" asking if any LFS had them.   

I believe all you admins can see deleted threads, so check it out...  I was told that the right way to ask was to PM each of the LFS's, which I did btw, and it worked.  Got responses from all of them.

There are more and more looking for threads every day. ( a new one today again ).. and it seems pretty clear to me.  if your looking for something, use the classified form called "looking for..."

As charlie pointed out, these should be deleted and if they are for members, moved to the classifieds.

lucius

This sort of reminds me of high school in which the teachers always say "If you have a question, please ask, chances are someone else has the same question."  Not being able to publically post responses to the LF ads is rather limiting IMO.

Cheebs

I must say that some of the threads in question have been very informative for me, not just the original poster :) But then again, I guess it gets complicated with the whole members only stuff and whatnot. So I'm not sure what the call is! If a potential member - who is only currently a new forum member and perhaps considering buying a memberiship - posts a thread like that (as lots of newer people might do) and gets his thread deleted, hopefully that wouldn't be a detterent for them to join the club. Probably not, but now it's getting all weird!

Hookup

Remember. My looking for type thread was deleted and I was informed to buy a membership or PM each LFS individually.

I just think fair should be same for everyone.  Apparently others do too.

Maybe looking for should be open to non-members as a better solution.  But I'll leave "how to deal with it" and "what's fair" up to the powers that be.