New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

10+ Gallon container?

Started by FocusFin, May 29, 2007, 09:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FocusFin

Does anyone know what I could use for a container to keep and mix my RO water?

My stand is too small to hold a sump but it will hold a container 14in X 14in square and up to 20in high (with 8 inches to spare). I plan to keep my RO water under the stand with a powerhead in it , mix, aerate and pump up into the tank. I thought about making a glass or acrylic tank but there must be an easier solution.

Most of the standard containers, buckets etc. that will fit those dimension only hold about 5 gallons. 14in X14in X 20in equals 17 gallons.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Mike

110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

mdaigle

What about Rubbermaid tubs?  I don't know what type of plastic they are made of though and if they would leach toxic substances into your water ...  I've kept fish in them for a short period during a move (couple of days) and they did not seem to mind.

Michel

55g FW Community - Neons, Cardinals, Rasboras, YoYo Loaches
30g - Lake Malawi Cichlids
20g - TBD
15g - Guppies
15g - Guppies
10g - Grow out
10g - QT/Hospital

FocusFin

Quote from: mdaigle on May 29, 2007, 10:11:41 PM
What about Rubbermaid tubs?  I don't know what type of plastic they are made of though and if they would leach toxic substances into your water ...  I've kept fish in them for a short period during a move (couple of days) and they did not seem to mind.

Michel

Thanks Michel, i have not been able to find a rubbermaid container with the proper dimensions but would not see a problem with using it.

Quote from: dan2x38 on May 29, 2007, 09:55:47 PM
Could you use 2 of the water cooler jugs some how? Canus plastics on Lisgar/Bank might have an acrylic canister/container or could whip one up for you. I had them cut some stuff and make me something quite cheap.

I'll call Canus in the morning. I knew someone would know.

Thanks guys.

Mike
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Alchemist

A plastic kitchen garbage can?  They have a smallish footprint and are tall...rectangular base so they will fit inside a stand...some come with lids to keep dust out too.  I've been thinking of using one myself.

FocusFin

Quote from: Alchemist on May 30, 2007, 09:53:31 AM
A plastic kitchen garbage can?  They have a smallish footprint and are tall...rectangular base so they will fit inside a stand...some come with lids to keep dust out too.  I've been thinking of using one myself.

Quote from: dan2x38 on May 30, 2007, 09:59:55 AM
Test the plastic first. I wonder if the water being more of column would it be strong enough. The lower rectangle rubbermaid container works great. I did use clear hockey tape to reinforce it just in case. It hardly bulges. I've thought of a garbage can but the plastic ones seem a little flimsy. What about a stainless steel one or small metal one with a plastic one as an insert?

All are great ideas. The one suggestion that was made was to ensure that the container is food safe as the RO water is aggressive and I guess can "attack" the plastic over several weeks. It was also suggested that by putting aragonite in the container it gives the water something to work on.

I am not sure how necessary these precautions are but I guess if there are two options and one is food safe I'll pick that one.

Thanks again.

Mike
110g saltwater/reef

Alchemist

RO water shouldn't do anything, it has a neutral pH and isn't corrosive...but if you use the container as a sump for salt water at pH 8.2 then this is slightly caustic/more basic and could conceivably react with the wrong kinds of plastics.  I agree with the plastic smell thing as if it is off-gassing (the smell) then you'll get some of that gas dissolved in the water and you don't want that.

Alchemist

If it's any use...and you are a real stickler for purity then in the lab we store RO/double deionised water in large nalgene containers (10g plus) but these won't be as cheap as a plastic garbage can or a Rubbermaid container (which both might be ok).

Alchemist

..only because it's missing minerals that you might need...it's still just ultra-pure water, OK to drink.

xenon

Buy some acrylic and make a custom box to fit perfectly in the space you need.