New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

*sigh* - Ich!

Started by Zoe, September 21, 2007, 12:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoe

Right, so, I got a fish this weekend and it developed ich today. Greaaat.  Anyway, it's a shrimp goby, and I don't have a QT tank set up, so I'm not sure what to do now.
Following someone's advice I did a FW dip.  I think he survived it although he wasn't lookin too good while he was in the FW :S
But with the water itself being infected, I can't see how that will fix the problem in the long run.

What do you think, would getting a UV sterilizer help?  Even if the affected goby dies, to at least bring down the ich population in my tank?

xenon

The only sure way to solve ich is to remove all fish, place them in a qt tank and lower the salinity to 1.09 for (6weeks - 14weeks) depending on how much patience you have. :)

You can drop the salinity quite fast (24-48hrs) but when your done the hypo salinity process you can only increase salinity .2 per day.

Good luck!

Zoe

Jebus, I'm not set up for that :(
Is this something I must do or all fish will develop Ich?  Or does Ich only infest unhealthy / stressed fish?

Zoe

beertech

Do you have any cleaner shrimp?  My yellow Tang had a couple of bouts with ich in the past, and the cleaner shrimp actually took care of it within a few days each time.

Alchemist

Recently saw this when I was browsing....says it's reef safe...might be snake oil though..perhaps worth trying:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/medicine.php?product_ID=cm-sp08

It's on sale too!

dan2x38

Quote from: Zoe on September 21, 2007, 12:34:53 AM
Right, so, I got a fish this weekend and it developed ich today. Greaaat.  Anyway, it's a shrimp goby, and I don't have a QT tank set up, so I'm not sure what to do now.
Following someone's advice I did a FW dip.  I think he survived it although he wasn't lookin too good while he was in the FW :S
But with the water itself being infected, I can't see how that will fix the problem in the long run.

What do you think, would getting a UV sterilizer help?  Even if the affected goby dies, to at least bring down the ich population in my tank?

Zoe if you like I can loan you a 25w in tank UV sterlizer.

Can you return the fish? Could they QT him for you? sounds obivous I know just throwing it out there...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

xenon

All you need is a used 20g tank, heater and power head. Make sure your refractometer is calibrated and keep salinity between 1.009-1.010