New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

*sigh* still have cyano...help!

Started by RoxyDog, October 14, 2007, 12:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sniggir

gotta love flat worms!!!!!!!!!!! NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

redbelly

Quote from: kennyman on October 21, 2007, 12:37:57 PM
As for whats next? Id say manging algal growth like bubble, hair, briopsis and Coraline. Oh and stuff like flatworms that tend to creep up on you.

Bryopsis and flat worms are easy fixes but a real pain!

speckledmind

A little update on my Cyano problem.

I was running 3 Powerheads ( I had cut back two because I had to much flow ), but reverted to my initial set up of 5 Powerheads, one on each top corner of the tank, and an extra one at the back of the tank to pick up the dead water from the bottom back, and circulate it.

Here is what I have noticed so far :
- I have a lot of flow, yep, lots of it lol
- The Cyano is pretty much being blasted off the rock where is was holding on.
- I do have some substrate moving around, but no Cyano on it lol

I'm hoping that the Cyano won't simply move to another area.

First Pict shows my initial set up as it was planned, and before I removed the two front Powerheads, the second Pict shpws the two Powerheads back in place.
Flow I now have  ;D

PS : I'm not sure if the Shrimps are holding onto the glass, or there being kept there by the increase flow  :D
Just kidding.

[attachment deleted by admin]

speckledmind

just saw Marinescape advertise the Sure Flow 1600 Maxi-Jet Upgrade Kit $21.99, it looks like the old MJ-Mod, but it's way simpler / cheaper ( Plug and Play would be more accurate ), so I'm thinking of picking one ( or two ) up after the week end, and giving those a try  :)

I got this off Google / The Sure Flow 1600 upgrade kits includes:
1 - Shroud cap
1 - Propeller/magnet assembly
1 - Full rotation bracket for Sure Grip magnet holder or suction cup bracket
Works with Maxi-Jet 400, 600, 900, and 1200 pumps.
Pump and Sure Grip magent holder not included.
The second / bottom Pict, shows what is included in the kit.

Pict's to boot.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Vallely4

Is that an Aquaclear Skilter I see speckledmind?  If so do they work well?   (How much?)

Are those powerheads points in all one direction, no wait.... Its two you've got  pointed upwards, and the other two flowing counter clockward?  (looks like it creates good water agitation if so)

Love your rockwork anyway, beautiful purples... :)
Hope the cyano stays clear of it

kennyman

I like that aftermarket thing and I think it s very relevent this  cyano thread. It looks like it will really disperse the flow and that is the what I have been trying to get across with my comments about moving all the water around.

To get an idea about how much flow is in a diffuse pattern vs a jet it would take 7-8 MJ400's to get the flow rate out of a single seio820. The MJ's look like there is a lot of flow because of the nozzle but they actually don't move much water outside of that jetstream. I think it's Tunzi's site that has a great explanation of this, but with the way their site works I cant link to it directly anyway. But it was great read if I remember right.

I have a MJ400 here that was going to be used for a seahorse tank and I am very interested in this aftermarket piece Dennis posted to enhance its flowpattern. Thanks for the tip  :)

speckledmind

Quote from: Vallely4 on October 24, 2007, 04:22:55 PM
Is that an Aquaclear ...
Are those powerheads points in all one direction...
Hi Val,
I'm using an Aquaclear top skimmer attachment, hooked onto an Aquaclear 70.
My powerheads are not all pointed in the same direction, the Pict only shows where they sit when I did the dry fit of the equipment.
You can see all the details if you follow this link http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=17539.0

Quote from: kennyman on October 24, 2007, 07:05:29 PM
I like that aftermarket thing and I think it s very relevent this  cyano thread.
Yes it is, flow is a key factor in a reef tank, the big question I have been asking myself though, is how much flow does one really need, before it's to much flow ?
I'm not into keeping SPS, So !
Before this Cyano problem, I was doing very well  ???
I don't want to thread jack, but rather talk flow in thinking about the Cyano.
That being said.
I'm not convinced on the hydor koralia powerhead power / performance / bulkiness, I stuck my hand in front a the large model to check out the flow ( unit 4 I think is the largest ), and in my opinion ( and it's only an opinion ), it does not move that much water, and certainly not what it claims to, I do like the disperse affect though, so in thinking / reverting back to the MJ-Mods, I really want to see these new Sure Flow 1600 kits. I remember testing out an MJ-Mod for flow, and it pushed way more water in a dispersed pattern than the hydor koralia.

Julie

Need to tackle the source. 
Cyano isn't that bad, everyone has their algae problems, it's just ugly.

RoxyDog

yeah, the hydors...I dunno.  I bought a #2 and it still seems to not push what it says.  and I've not compared it to a MJ mod.  seems like it only moves water around 1/2 the tank, I know it's dispersed flow, but shouldn't 600gph in a 24gal do the whole tank?   ???  my cyano is completely gone with the sugar dosing, we'll see if two AC PHs on one side and a hydor on the other keeps it @ bay.
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

artw

I had a bit of cyano the other day, I just removed it all with an airline tubing syphon..  we'll see if it comes back.
I started dosing calcium so we'll see what happens in that respect to the cyano.

gvv

Quote from: Julie on October 25, 2007, 08:58:17 AM
Cyano isn't that bad, everyone has their algae problems, it's just ugly.
M-m-m... Don't agree. It can kill SPS'esif it will cover them. And not only SPS - I remember the time I had a problem when it started covering plate coral...
I can leave with it in sump/refuge, but not in the main tank.

Regards

RoxyDog

yep, it's back.   >:( 

just on the front sand bed, no where else on the sand or rocks.  the weird part is the zoas down there...you can see by their skirts that there's flow. even the cyano sways in the current.   ::) 

so, it appears there's flow, I use r/o water, the food I feed is NLS flake (could this be contributing via phosphates?) or raw shrimp about every second day. 

what to do now?  I can live with it, it's not that bad again, but I'd still like to conquer it if possible!  grr.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

kennyman

there were some checkered Nerites at BA's last week. I got a couple for my tank to help out with the algae now that my Angel is gone. According to some Ecology type sites these guys live on a diet of specific types of algae including Cyano and diatoms.

RoxyDog

kennyman

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1472

I got the checkered ones at Innis. Every little bit helps   ;)

I had some of these in my nano and they did good work, but the water quality was poor and I lost them and my emerald crab before I made the move to my existing tank.