New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Xenon's 29g Biocube with upgrades!

Started by xenon, September 25, 2008, 10:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zzippper

mchotdog

Quote from: xenon on March 14, 2009, 03:37:43 PM
You dont need to make 500k/yr or win the lottery to buy a $5,000 fishtank setup. lol

Like groupie said. You can maintain a successful tank with much less. My lighting and controller is overkill for most people.
well. i was thinking to start up a 72Gl tank. and now seeing you spent soo much on a 29 Gl. i am really worried that if i do a cheap 72Gl tank. it will look like crap. maybe i will start with a 12Gl nano cube or something.

xenon

Quote from: Zzippper on March 14, 2009, 06:34:46 PM

... and your dosing pump.  ::)

I just hope one day you will get over it.  ;D

audioslave_36

Quote from: mchotdog on March 14, 2009, 11:42:44 PM
well. i was thinking to start up a 72Gl tank. and now seeing you spent soo much on a 29 Gl. i am really worried that if i do a cheap 72Gl tank. it will look like crap. maybe i will start with a 12Gl nano cube or something.

There are alot of SW tanks out there that look stunning and have been done on a budget, then there are alot of tanks that have a fortune invested in them.

Bottom line is, research and don't rush, I have been putting my 120g SW tank together for almost a year now, I have not spent as much as Xenon has but I have spent more than I originally intended to.

just my 2 cents (cause thats all I can afford  ;D)

Vincenzo.

sounds like a nice setup. it feels nice to have something that nice, it's rewarding when you work hard.

Hookup

Hey man,
  Hows the color of your sps with the LED lights?  Whats your opinion so far of the LED?  It's been on-line for what, 2months?

xenon

Quote from: Hookup on March 26, 2009, 10:47:56 PM
Hey man,
  Hows the color of your sps with the LED lights?  Whats your opinion so far of the LED?  It's been on-line for what, 2months?

I had a hard time with the LED's at first. The PAR is so intense all my corals bleached out and that was with slow acclimation. lol

Once I figured out the amount of light my corals liked (40% white and 100% blue) they started to color up nice and then I decided to replace all my sand so I tore the whole tank apart and took a step back in coloration.

They are stating to come back nicely.  :)

The placement of every single SPS coral is essential with LED's because the beams of light are very direct. Some SPS corals like more light than others and that is what I am trying to figure out while they are still on frag plugs.

Fun stuff.  :D

Hookup

There are two active RC threads, both nominated for APRIL ThreadOTM, one on light spectrum and the other on DIY LED systems... got me thinkging, I need to see/talk to someone who really knows WTF is going on... keep me posted...

groupie02

I saw a couple of your ads in the classifieds. Are you upgrading again or getting out of the hobby?

chujai

hey xenon. im looking into some skimmers for this tank.... how did yours work out for you? worth the money or large water changes good enough?
ChuJai

Vincenzo.

all i have to say it very nice, & those mushrooms are to sick!! the colors are to vivid.