New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

GHL is a important part of my tank !!!

Started by fishdaddy, January 19, 2009, 01:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishdaddy

so for the last year i have had generic moon lights on my tank and besides looking cool they have done nothing i was following the moon cycle with no changes in my tank.3 months ago i bought a GHL controller dosing pumps and moon lights,i have the GHL controller set up to fallow the pattern of the moon to a T,a  week or two ago i noticed some things in mt tank my sps was starting to spawn and my ummas ricks started to split and multiply like crazy.My bright orange umma one of my favorites in my tank,little ones started to show up in my tank first there was one then there was two now i think there is about eight in my tank.there is other thing that are changing in the tank i have had my scooters mate my chromis as well.This in my opinion is the results of my wonderful new toy no no my essential new toy i love this controller if you can think it it can probably do it.
has any one else had any thing like this happen to them

[attachment deleted by admin]

fishdaddy

i know that they are hard to see but my blue rick has 4 mouths on it

groan

Wow! that's very cool and is cooler to think that by controlling the light like that can induce such activity.
Is there any documented information about this happening?

Hookup

My GHL has been sitting next to my fish-tank for a few weeks and I've seen nothing... Oh wait, I should connect it right?  Does that make a difference?

xenon

How bright is your tank when its a full moon?

When I have my LED light set to 1% its perfect but im pretty sure full moon is 4% and thats pretty bright.

fishdaddy

groan i have herd of other people talk about it in RC but not in ottawa yet

hookup, well beside your tank it looks cool and if you were to plug it in it would make a very expensive paper weight.

fishdaddy

xenon my led start dim and then go brighter as the days go  on when the lights are at the fullest they are quite bright  this is to simulate the full moon  the lights that are on are the blue and white it is nice to see that the lights are more useful than just  to look at

kennyman

I read a bit here and there about spawning but it is seems pretty much undecided as to how much the actual moon has to do with it an how much the artificial lighting does. A lost of the Coral profiles in books like "The Reef Aquarium" I II III have notations about spawning in captivity.

fishdaddy

i think that the moon has something to do with it because i know that when the moon is up i feel different,  i think that the full moon plays a big part in the ocean currents and how thing mate

kennyman

yea like there is more going on than just light. It is the Moon's gravity that creates tides right? But supplementing its light on the cycle like you might really help the corals pick up on these natural rhythms, what ever they are  :D

gvv

There is a 10-12 days interval between maroon clowns lay eggs. Ocellaris clowns lay eggs every 20th day (plus/minus 3 days). Not sure how it correspond to real moon cycle, but I configured the time period and time (when they start) in 7 day period ( no way to do it differently with the common timer I have).
Can it confirmanything - not sure, but cannot say opposite as well  ???

fishdaddy

i hope that this will help my clowns start spawning on a steady inter volts