New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

High reef-tank nitrate levels..Any quick advice is appreciated!

Started by ymh1253, January 10, 2011, 11:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FocusFin

Click additional options below the reply box when posting and choose attach choose file.
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

ymh1253

Bob P

Don't think you need to spend money on a bigger powerhead.

ymh1253

I had tested my nitrate levels again tonight and they were still reading between 40-60 ppm, It's been a couple of days since the first 25%water-change so I'll change another 25% tomorrow, and hopefully that brings it down some more. I had decided to hook up the seaclone skimmer so hopefully that also helps get rid of some impurities in the water. The 100 seaclone skimmer I am using didnt come with a manual so I was wondering if I should begin using it with the valve(full open), or start of at maybe valve (half open). Any advice? Thx

Darth

when I used it, it took a lot of adjustments, but open it till it looks like a cyclone of bubbles in the chamber you want a good opaque bubble colum inside and give it about 3 days to `break in`and adjust as you need to.

ymh1253

I'm getting a good cyclone motion at both half and full open, but It's creating micro bubbles like crazy full open. Do these bubbles decrease then go away after the break-in period?. It's only been running for a couple hours now. I heard using a skimmer will reduce my number of top-ups by reducing the evaporation time, that's a good thing.

salvini55

if anything it will increase the evaporation, not to mention the water it skims out of the tank... Who told you that?

Hookup

skimmers will remove water.  They remove salt-water so you will not top-up with fresh (ro/di) but mixed water... maybe that's the difference?

evap = ro/di used to replaces
skimm = salt mix used to replace

Darth

adjust it so there are no bubbles, if I remember the micro bubbles do dissapate after a while, but make tiny adjustments as needed

ymh1253

I was told a skimmer will reduce water evaporation by someone who apparently doesn't know what their talking about when it comes to skimming lol.  Anyways when I woke up this morning the waste cup was already full of waste bi-product, so I imagine it's doing it's job. The color of the waste was yellowish green. I'm gonna do another 25% w/c this afternoon to try and lower those nitrates a little more.  I had removed the foam pads and biocubes from the fluval and am just running carbon now, so I hope the tank, and its occupants adjusts to the new filtration method without incident.