New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

CPR SR3 Skimmer for BioCube 29

Started by mmaisonneuve, May 18, 2011, 09:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmaisonneuve

Finally got the CPR SR3 Protein Skimmer for my BioCube 29 to work. The thing now works great ! Now before anyone else goes down this path here is my advice....The Accela pump (Venturi) that comes with this skimmer is not worth a penny. Take it out and replace it ASAP with a Rio 600 +. I've played with the skimmer for weeks using the Accela pump and I had 2 issues:

1) It's so noisy, lots of vibrations, and cavitation noise it was so noisy that at some point I've consider putting the skimmer in the garbage can.

2) Microbubble a ton of microbubble in the tank, and I've tried everything lower the waterlevel, raise the water level, adding live rock in the middle chamber of the Skimmer, Bio Balls in the middle chamber of the skimmer, Foam, ....nothing worked. So I've replace the pump and voila within hours there was no more micro bubble, and no more noise. Just a nice skimate in the collecting cup !!!

Usually the second chamber should host Bio Balls but instead I've inserted in there a Filtration media bag with a mix of Seachem Carbon, Phos remover and Purigen to slow down the water flow from the Biocube First Chamber to the second Chamber.

The thing is now skimming like hell and I'm a happy camper.
90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits