New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

"Bryopsis hypnoides"SOLVED>I.D please ?

Started by jee, August 11, 2012, 05:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jee

hi, my tank is cycling atm diatom bloom
i see like microscopic feather like thing i wonder what it could be anyone knows???
here's some shots

Feivel

I dont see much but ill guess vermited snails. There tube like and spin webs like spiders to catch food. Cool to watch. Some consider them good filter feeders and others pests from the antique stale look the create with the webs everywhere. Some corals are bothered by this and it also can "steal" food from your corals in this manner as well.

Cheers

Feivel

Oh wait. You mean all the little whitish blurry spots on the pic with lights. Probably a batch of baby snails. I get a bunch of them. Havent had any mature either getting scrubbed off by tigerfloat or eating i guess by the other tank mates. I have one in my sump thats a bit bigger. Less predators i guess. Hees about 5mm water drop type shape.

Vincenzo.

Quote from: Feivel on August 12, 2012, 01:43:33 PM
I dont see much but ill guess vermited snails. There tube like and spin webs like spiders to catch food. Cool to watch. Some consider them good filter feeders and others pests from the antique stale look the create with the webs everywhere. Some corals are bothered by this and it also can "steal" food from your corals in this manner as well.

Cheers

^not verm snails. More than likely its barnicles...pyrgomatid

jee

thnks alot guys for the reply !!
just to make sure we are talkn about the same thing ??? this thing circled ?? lol

Vincenzo.

+to what i said. Its a type of barnacle

jee

Quote from: Vince. on August 12, 2012, 05:15:22 PM
+to what i said. Its a type of barnacle

thx alot ":) i hope its a good type lol

Vincenzo.

jee

finaly i did some intensive research and i found out that THOSE are anything but good in a tank,

they were starting to grow like crazy, i tought it wasnt normal so i did a little more research online

its called "Bryosis" and there is tons of different types of bryopsis
mine; i think is "Bryosis hypnoides"

its a kind of Long green feather like hair algae introduced not super long ago in reefs..kind of a pest.

i got the rock out and in ro/di water took a hard toothbrush and brushed the hell out of those algea
that did the thing now its clean and free of those pesky bryosis!! before it got out of control,
looks like they thrive on phosphate.
some herbivore reef fish can eat those but;
most of the type of herbivore that eats it would NOT fit in a 12G nano cube!(like mine) lol

anyway just wanted to update it to inform anyone who would have similar issue in the're reefs.
Cheers

QuoteQuote taken from macroalgae club about Bryopsis hypnoides::::
Bryopsis

Similar Species: Bryopsis hypnoides has irregular branching.

Bryopsis has also recently started to grow in the aquarium. This algae is easily identified by the feather shaped thalli although from a distance it would appear to be common hair algae. In our tank, the Bryopsis is a deeper green than the Derbesia and has grown a lot taller. Since the hair algae isn't too tall it would indicate that tank inhabitants either graze on it or it's just starting to grow. As hair algae becomes more established, it grows rather long and attaches to the substrate stronger making it harder for manual removal.

Description

Plants in filamentous tufts, to 10 cm tall, branching in irregular, scattered pattern. Primary axes highly branched. Fronds decrease in diameter with each successive division; branchlets form irregularly, undifferentiated from axes, constricted at base. Apices rounded. Rhizoidal system fibrous, tightly woven. Color is dull or dark green.

Structural Features

Main axes 65-140 µm diameter, branchlets 40-80 µm diameter. Apices rounded. Vegetative pennae function as the gametangia. Plants are dioecious, with male plants becoming yellowish-green and female plants turning dark green.

Habitat

Common near freshwater and nutrient rich outputs. Attaches to hard substrates such as basalt, rocks, or rubble. Forms delicate fronds which move with currents.
Bryopsis species are highly opportunistic in eutrophic condtions. Communities found near fresh water output that is nutrient rich, or where water temperatures fluctuate will have a higher biomass of the fast growing green alga.

Bryopsis species are potentially invasive. Like the troublesome Caulerpa taxifolia, the genus produces chemical defenses that are toxic to most herbivorous organisms. Therefore, if environmental conditions occur that support fast growth of this species, it may become more competitive and dominant.

Feivel

get more hermits :) and a gfo(granular ferritic oxide) reactor to keep the phosphate levels down to "0"
should solve the problem

NjOyRiD

not for bryopsis Seb hihi
you need high magnesium levels with kent M only
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Vincenzo.

Sry could not tell u sonner. Did not know they where growing rapid fast.