New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

any one have this species Petrochromis sp.

Started by Dave and Diane, March 20, 2008, 09:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave and Diane

as it states anyone have this species of Tangs?

Petrochromis sp.

markw

I keep Petrochromis trewevasae. A beautiful fish with a stable temperment. Not as aggressive as some other Petros.

Al

I also keep petros and have several different groups. The trewevasae as pointed out by Mark are one of the least aggressive of the petros but they can still be a handful - all depends on the group you get.
Petros are typically very aggressive towards con-specifics and should you be considering these you need to house them in at least a 6 footer. Unless you have had experience with other aggressive fish, and I would classify trophs here as well, I would stick to trews as a first try. You also need to keep an eye on them as they can wreak havoc in a very short time period. These guys don't peck at algae like tropheus - they literally shred mats of algae in the wild - and this explains their large mouths and rows of teeth which can shred fish scales with equal ease. You need to keep them in high numbers to spread aggression meaning the investment can be substantial as the fish are hard to find and demand a good price in the 45-75 dollar range per fish for wilds or if you're really lucky you just might find F1 juvies for anywhere from 20-40 dollars per. As to sizes they can vary from the 5-6" range to 12-18" range for fish like the red fin longola or the petro blue giant.
Is there any specific information you were looking for?

markw

Hey Al, Got any good pictures of you're Red Bulu Point petros!

Al

Mark,
If I had some Red Bulu petros everyone would know about it. They are a beautiful fish - Darius at AquariumShop had one male last time I was there and it was an 8-9" stunner!! awesome fish and brilliant red colors. I wish......

buntbarsch

O darn Al. I was so counting on getting some fry of you  :'( :'( :'(

markw

Klaus, He's just denying it, so he doesn't get too pestered by guys looking for fry!