New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Walmart brand stands?

Started by feral, October 24, 2006, 10:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feral

I'm currently looking for two 48" x 12" stands for two 55 gal tanks that will be side by side, I've considered building a stand that's 8' long, or building two 4' stands (easier to level), I've looked at most of the local pet stores (superpet, big al's, etc) and their stands are a little more then I'd like to pay.

I was at wal-mart and noticed that they have a 47.5" x 13" stand for about $80.  It's an ikea-type thing made from particle board and melamine laminate and is exactly what I'm looking for.  What I want to know is has anyone any experience with this type of stand?  Could it actually be strong enough to hold 550lbs?  How would it react to water spills/damage?  Has anyone seen a stand that's designed to have the sides of the tank hand slightly over the edges?  Would it be better to add some reenforcment to one? 

Stands everywhere else range from $110 - $140 to much more for something really fancy.  I know you usually get what you pay for.  Recomendations?

mseguin

I have the Walmart stand under my 29 gal (2 years), and its still holding, although the fact it hangs slightly over the edge isn't comforting. Water damge eventually makes the finish peel.

BigDaddy

Peeling finishes are the least of your problems with water damage to particle board.

If you have a big spill for example, the particle board will suck up all the water if left long enough.  Waterlogged particle board is SIGNIFICANTLY weaker structurally than dry board.  In a smaller tank, not a huge issue.  A larger tank, however, and depending on where the spill is (like a joint between a support beam and the bottom plank), you'd likely be living on borrowed time before something bad happened.

feral

Would 2x4 re-enforcement be doable?  Maybe some metal L brackets?

darkdep

If you're going to reinforce with 2x4's, you might as well just build the stand from 2x4's.

Personally, I'll never put a tank on a particleboard stand again.  Particleboard turns to oatmeal when wet.

SuperT

I agree with DarkDep, I build all my own stands and find that it has been much cheaper in the long run.  You can also add modifications to suit your own needs. 

Terry

Iceman

Quote from: DarkDep on October 25, 2006, 09:33:46 PMParticleboard turns to oatmeal when wet.

And gets worse when it dries.

darkdep

rockgarden

As a rule I tend to put 5/8" or 3/4" plywood under all my tanks. There are exceptions to every rule though and I think one of my reefs is sitting on 3/4" particleboard but that in turn is sitting on a stand that is also surfaced with 3/4' particleboard so really 1 1/2" in total.   Plywood costs more but I sleep nights. I wouldn't use particle board if I were building my own.

Ron