New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What is happening to my endler? digestive system failure?

Started by peedrama, April 09, 2012, 01:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peedrama

Hi guys,

I recently noticed that one my endlers was exhibiting odd behaviors, he was isolating himself from the rest of the fish, and generally hiding in the portions of the tank with little to no current. Recently after a feeding of frozen brine shrimp I noticed a protruding bulging developing.

I've isolated this one endler and moved him out of the tank and from what I understand I get the feeling that I am going to lose him, but am still concerned as to what could have caused the 'bulge' as I do not want any of my other fishes to suffer a similar fate.

Does any anyone have an idea of what caused this? Should I continue to isolate the fish, return him to the tank or (gulp) euthanize?

My theories are:
1. The fish failed to digest the brine shrimp and this caused an obstruction.
2. Parasitic infection
3. Overfeeding? (I've researched this and I don't think it's the case but the internet has been wrong before).

A picture is attached, thanks for any feedback/advice.

Amardeep.

Nerine

not an expert...but it could be parasites, it looks kind of malnourished...
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

touchofsky

It is hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like a bit of intestine is protruding.
I just went to another forum, and somebody is having what I think is the same trouble with an angelfish.  They were told to use epsom salts in a hospital tank or a bucket, and apparently it has worked.  In their fish, it was a prolapsed anus and it did retract.

They used 1/4 tbsp epsom salts in a bucket of water.  It would be worth a try.

touchofsky

OK, here is a bit better info on dosing:  it is 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons or water.  Dissolve the epsom salts before putting in the tank.

peedrama

This is a planted tank (hardy stuff, java fern and java moss, some anubis), employees at the local fish shop had advised against adding salt because of the plants. Seems kinda silly to me. Anyone will experience adding salt to this tank.

touchofsky

Epsom salts are not salt (sodium chloride).  Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate.   It won't hurt the plants.  If you are worried about the plants, dose the one fish in a bucket or in a small hospital tank.

peedrama

Thank you,

I have him separated in about a litre of tank water that I change daily. I did the conversions and so i added 0.4g of episom salt to maintain the 1 tbspn to 10 gallon ratio. I hope this little guy gets better, either way it's a learning experience. Thank you for the advice guys.

Amardeep.