New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Would this work for an above ground pond?

Started by RedFish, February 13, 2008, 12:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedFish

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=47455&cat=2

It is a Lee Valley kit for making a raised garden bed, with patio stones on their sides.   I was wondering if it could be the shell for an above ground pond....what do you think?

Vizerdrix

I was thinking of doing something similar for an outdoor pond this summer, but with cinder blocks (I have a ton laying around).  I don't see a problem with it, just make sure you have a lot of braces around the sides, water has a LOT of pressure.

The only other thing I would be worried about is the water getting too warm, since it's above ground.  Make sure you place it somewhere that gets shade in the afternoons.

Nerine

I have a barrel, it's fine, doesn't get too hot in the summer! :) It's kept on the porch in the shade of the lemon tree!

Just keep in mind shade!!
Good luck :)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

RedFish

Well shading it would not be a problem, I have more trouble finding sun in my backyard.

However if I have to brace it, I might do something else, maybe braces with wood facing, hmmmm have to keep thinking.

The Pond Boy

There are several ways to make a "above" ground pond. One is from wood, another is from retailing wall stones. If you do the setup well, it will survive the winter and also the fish will survive it in the winter.
Thanks,

The Pond Boy,
Greg Veldhuizen