New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

More signs of life!

Started by CMW, April 22, 2008, 01:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMW

The last of the ice disappeared off the pond yesterday.  I am pleased to report that all 9 fish who over-wintered outside made it through the winter.  Now that the big icecube has melted and the water has started to warm up, they are getting active and exploring (anew) their pond.  Another few weeks and I think we will acclimatize the butterfly koi who spent their winter downstairs in a tank (and grew and grew and grew  ;D).  They will be so happy to get back out into their pond!

Anja

Isn't it a wonderful feeling to see them all back? Ours even grew a bit, I think, but they're certainly ravenous. We had a bunch of algae in the pond, and even though we took some out, they (there's only three fingerlong comets in there) did quite a job in getting rid of the rest. I started feeding them again two days ago. One of them, unfortunately came through the winter with a bit of tail rot, but he seems perky otherwise, and I'm only treating with Mela- and Pimafix. Hope it gets better.

You must have a big pond, ours is tiny. And butterfly koi, they're gorgeous. Do you have pictures?

hoping all your fish will do well going into summer,
Anja
250G (Pond) - Comets, Rosy Reds; 20G Retirement - Congo Tetras, BN, Banjo Cats, Pristellas, Buenos Aires Tetras, Zebra Danios; 25G Pygmy Corys, BN, Green Neons, Assassin Snails, 15G Blue Daisy Ricefish, BN, Betta; 6.6G (Edge) - Diamond Head Tetras, 3G Bloody Mary shrimp, 2G Caridina Cantonensis (tangerine tiger)

Agnate

I seem to have read somewhere that the best way to treat fin rot is by manually removing the part of the fin that's rotted, then treating with mela/pima.  Is this true?  Kind of like amputating an infected limb, except that the fin grows back, of course.

Just thought I'd mention it, even though I've never actually handled fin rot.