New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Plant query

Started by sas, June 03, 2009, 11:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sas

Bought some Parrot's Feather for our pond this year.
It comes in bunches attached with an elastic.
Does anyone have any experience with this plant?
Does it do better by taking the elastic off, it's not tight and wondering if it
would spread quicker if the stalks were separately floating.

It's a really nice delicate plant with striking colours.

bergenm

I normally pot mine - just a clay pot with gravel (or black earth). If it is anchored, it will grow right our of the water (the plant is much more attractive in its emerged form). If left floating, it acts more like foxtail or cabomba.
Michael

sas

Thanks Michael, I'll try your suggestion.
If it is more attractive submerged it must
be gorgeous.
Cheers Sue

Anja

I just tied the elastic with the bunch of plants around a rock and let it sink to the bottom of the pond. It rooted on its own and reached the surface fairly quickly, then spread across. I cut it off as far down as I could reach in the fall, it did not come back this year. Might not have been the ideal planting method. Where it floats across the surface, it puts lots of root down into the water. I'd think that if you'd let it float, it would root somewhere shallow eventually.
250G (Pond) - Comets, Rosy Reds; 20G Retirement - Congo Tetras, BN, Banjo Cats, Pristellas, Buenos Aires Tetras, Zebra Danios; 25G Pygmy Corys, BN, Green Neons, Assassin Snails, 15G Blue Daisy Ricefish, BN, Betta; 6.6G (Edge) - Diamond Head Tetras, 3G Bloody Mary shrimp, 2G Caridina Cantonensis (tangerine tiger)