New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Planting pond plants

Started by joeyt66, June 07, 2009, 07:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeyt66

I went out to a pond/swap near my house and decided to grab a few things for my new pond. I got some cattail grass, and a couple lily pads. Now when i put them in the pond do i have to put soil in the bucket as well to keep them rooted? What other tips can you give me on planting. Pond is 8'x8' 14 inches deep. Sunlight till about 1pm then shady. Any info would be great

Fishnut

Definately, they have to be rooted in some kind of soil and basket.  There are some good pond soils out there but I have no experience with any of them.  My koi root up and/or eat everything I put in there except for the odd floating plant.

Anja

Something to anchor them, so they don't just float up. I haven't tried aquatic soil, mine just root in gravel and are fine with that.
250G (Pond) - Comets, Rosy Reds; 20G Retirement - Congo Tetras, BN, Banjo Cats, Pristellas, Buenos Aires Tetras, Zebra Danios; 25G Pygmy Corys, BN, Green Neons, Assassin Snails, 15G Blue Daisy Ricefish, BN, Betta; 6.6G (Edge) - Diamond Head Tetras, 3G Bloody Mary shrimp, 2G Caridina Cantonensis (tangerine tiger)

Cbellehumeur

i used i water basket/pot and lined it in burlap and put a very small amount of clay/soil on the roots and top it with gravel. the gravel help contain the soil and works as a weight. the burlap also keeps all the soil clay mix in the pot. aquatic soil is supposed to work well i just did mine the cheaper easier way and it works fine.