New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Ich

Started by Caitiepi, May 04, 2016, 09:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caitiepi

So I noticed on Monday that a couple of my fish have ich. At first I noticed my rainbow shark glancing, then the next day saw a few small white spots on his fins, and some small spots on a few other fish's fins.

Background: A couple weekends ago I upgraded my fish to a new (larger) tank, so I'm assuming that the ich is stress induced since my tank parameters are well within range and I do 50% water changes weekly, and possibly helped along by a newer tank mate. (Definitely quarantining any new arrivals after this :/ *grumble, grumble*)

Monday night I started treating with Marineland ich meds and doing 25% water changes prior. I have noticed that the shark isn't glancing anymore, and that I'm seeing less white spots.

I have read that you can eradicate ich by raising the tank temp and using aquarium salt. My question is: I've seen the temp suggested anywhere between 82-86F- some of my fish are already at the top end of their recommended temp at what my tank is normally kept at- would it have hurt them if I had raised the temp and used the salt instead? Also, I know that there are certain fish that you shouldn't use salt with, anybody know which ones?

Since the meds seem to be working, I'll continue using them until the ich is gone, but I'd rather not have to run out to buy tons more meds (if it ever happens again) if the salt and elevated temp would do the trick.

Thanks!
90 gallon community tank:
Red Rainbowfish
Boesemani Rainbowfish
Roseline Sharks
Rainbow Shark
Rosy Danios
Zebra Danios
Siamese Algae Eater
Electric Blue Acara
Green Severums
Rotkeil Severum