New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Potassium Permanganate

Started by magnosis, August 10, 2011, 01:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnosis

Hello Marc-André,

Do you carry Potassium Permanganate ?

What do you suggest - beside chlorine - to disinfect & clean plants of nasties (bacterias, viruses, snails, etc) before adding them to an established tank ?

Thanks in advance !
--
Antoine

marc-andre

Hi Antoine,

i don't sell potassium permanganate but you should find some in a pharmacie. Beside chlorine i don't see what you could do for plants but you should ask charlie from ovas . He knows and have very nice planted tanks, maybe he has a good solution.

Marc-André

magnosis

Thanks Marc-André.

It wasn't exactly easy, but I managed to get some from Jean Coutu.  The pharmacist was *very* reluctant at letting me purchase it after my special order came in. Took him 2 days to figure out from Justice Canada that the product was in fact legal to sell here.

Chlorine works well with some plants, but will kill anything that is remotely fragile.

PP doesn't have that disadvantage, but it is to be used with extreme caution nonetheless, mixing it with chlorine for instance will create a lethal gas and can kill the entire household if not taken care of adequately...

PS: Yes, Charlie is tha man for sure :D aha funny how everyone knows him !  We should have a national holiday in his name ;)