New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Giant Auction

Started by squeeker, January 09, 2005, 10:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squeeker

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering, what is the date of the Giant Auction?

Thanks!

artw

this is in another thread, as well as on our main page, http://www.ovas.ca

dpatte

im sorry, but i dont see it on the main page. where?
I also checked the calendar there and dont see it either

Sue

"I think date is March. 6 this year" I expect Jackie has to confirm the date with Jack Purcell, but thats the projected date. We should know more after tonight's exec meeting.

Tim

Can anyone go to these auctions or is it just members?

pegasus

dpatte

the monthly auctions (held during our monthly meetings) and the giant auction (normally held in March) are open to the public.

But if you do come to our meetings, we hope you consider becoming  a card-carrying member, which allows you to get a 15% discount at ottawas best fish stores.

squeeker

Ok, thanks!

I looked all over the main page, and I really didn't see it.  I would not have asked without looking first.

Marc

The announcement for the Giant Auction has just been added to the front page.  The Giant Auction will take place on Sunday March 6.

Note the new procedures regarding bidding and paying.  The purpose of the changes is to speed up how quickly items are sold and to get rid of the long wait at the end of the auction where everyone is waiting to pay.

Marc

I almost forgot to mention.  We will be using these new procedures at the mini-auction at the January meeting.  This will give members a chance to get used to the new procedures and will give the executive a chance to work out any problems in the procedures.

dpatte

I like the new rules, but for the montly mini auctions the bidding starts at $2 as well?

Marc

Quote from: "dpatte"I like the new rules, but for the montly mini auctions the bidding starts at $2 as well?

For the monthly mini-auctions the bidding will still start at $1 for the time being.

BigDaddy

Question Marc:

If you are a seller, and you buy items, wouldn't it be easier to have sellers only pay for their items at the end?

If I buy 10 bucks worth of stuff.. I hand you the cash, and then you sell my stuff and owe me 10, you give me my cash back....

Since sellers will have to line up after the auction is over anyway, it would just seem to make more sense?  Or of course, I could be completely off....   :lol:

Marc

Quote from: "BigDaddy"Question Marc:

If you are a seller, and you buy items, wouldn't it be easier to have sellers only pay for their items at the end?

If I buy 10 bucks worth of stuff.. I hand you the cash, and then you sell my stuff and owe me 10, you give me my cash back....

Since sellers will have to line up after the auction is over anyway, it would just seem to make more sense?  Or of course, I could be completely off....   :lol:

Good question.  

When the item is sold the auctioneer will write the selling price on the item.  A "runner" will deliever the item to the cashier's table.  Then it will be handed to the buyer only after it has been paid for.

If some people don't have to pay right away the cashier's table will fill up quickly.  Also it could be difficult for the cashiers to keep track of who is a vendor and who isn't.

Marc

BigDaddy

Quote from: "Marc"...  Also it could be difficult for the cashiers to keep track of who is a vendor and who isn't.

Marc

Maybe a different bidder number that designates the bidder as a seller?

I see what you mean about the stuff piling up though.  I would tend to think though that most sellers buy very little.  When was the last time you saw Art actually BUY anything   :lol:

pegasus

QuoteMaybe a different bidder number that designates the bidder as a seller?
Yes that would work, but the seller/now buyer should still go to the cashier that would write the price down on the back of his card. Totals are done when the seller come to collect or in my case, pay the difference.

artw

In my opinion this new way is quite efficient,  and differentiating between buyers and sellers really wouldn't make much of a difference.
from a sellers point of view I couldn't care less if I give you my $10, and you give it back to me at the end of the day...

we will be doing it the same way as Montreal has been doing it for years with no incidents

pegasus

QuoteIn my opinion this new way is quite efficient
I agree... talking for myself... in Montreal I ran out of cash and would have like to have spend the money I got as a seller. I did have more than $10 when I left Ottawa. :D  :D  :D

Just kidding, I know Art spent more than $12.50  :D

Greg

Speaking of Montreal, can our club not lock the fish up after 1:00 pm?  Pretty, pretty please?

I have yet to see someone run off with a bagged live fish in their pocket, although when I tried at home it was really pleasurable...

And as for items being moved by unfair buyers; many items I was interested in at the Montreal auction were changed not only once, but even two or three times even with lockdown in effect.

Just a passing comment.

P.S.  Is anyone still waiting for a cheque from the Montreal Auction, or did you all wait for your money?  I have not got my payment yet.

Greg

artw

Hi Greg
we are not going to be locking the fish up.  we as an executive feel it is important that people are able to walk around and view the items at any time.

with regards to payment I suggest you contact the http://www.aquasam.qc.ca/index.php?lng=fr