New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

OVAS to pay shipping cost

Started by pegasus, February 24, 2005, 09:13:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pegasus

I didn't want to further crap on StylinT's " Pooling order " thread. Sorry

The question of OVAS paying for shipping cost and even organize a group order was on this forum a couple of months ago. I believe the consensus was that it was not in OVAS mandate to seemingly help a particular group. I had a suggestion but I never put it in writing then.

The club will reach it's 100th members soon, double what it ever had. Members have already started to form their own little group of interest (Africans, Dwarf cichlids, plants and Discus lovers are uniting like never before). The only thing OVAS could do to help would be to allocate the 7:00-7:30 time slot of their meeting to the different groups where they could organize themselves.

I'll let your imagination go from here.

dpatte

its off topic, but i think your statement '100 members... [is] double what it ever had' is incorrect. I believe OVAS has been around as a club since the 1940s, and in the 1960s had several hundred paid members every year. It even had a youth wing of many dozens of members!

pegasus

Quote1960s had several hundred paid members every year
It could be true but I don't remember more than 50 members at their meetings, then again I was only 15 and my mind was not only on fish then. :)

Nelson

Quote from: "pegasus"
Quote1960s had several hundred paid members every year
It could be true but I don't remember more than 50 members at their meetings, then again I was only 15 and my mind was not only on fish then. :)

My first laugh of the day :lol:

artw

Quote from: "pegasus"7:00-7:30 time slot of their meeting to the different groups where they could organize themselves.

this is a very good suggestion but I think that in reality most people will just make plans, and either talk at the break or talk during the actual meeting itself,  as they have been doing for years and years ;)

artw

In regards to the Pooling an order issue -  since OVAS is a not for profit organisation it is not in our mandate to buy fish for people or pay the shipping costs.  however we do provide gas money for carpooling to various events.   and the reason for this is it is not specifically targetting one group in general.  (IE Auctions,  there is all kinds of fish species at auctions).

editted to add - upon re-reading this post it would seem that carpooling to the CRLCA auctions IS targetting a specific group.  if there is Killifish auctions or what not,  please,  let me know and I'll organise a carpool to those events

if someone could find that old thread it would be appreciated,  so I can bring it up again at the next Executive meeting,  you never know, since we are "bigger" now....

aidensmomma2000

Quote from: "pegasus"... and Discus lovers are uniting like never before).

Teehee  :D  I blame Julie LOL

Julie

maitre007

If OVAS was placing an order for fish and then reselling them at the meeting to it's members for a profit ... then the use of the non-for-profit organization argument would have some merit.

However offering to all it's member the opportunity to order fishes  from a website with the shipping paid by OVAS is EXACTLY the essense of a non-for-profit organization.

Marc

Quote from: "maitre007"If OVAS was placing an order for fish and then reselling them at the meeting to it's members for a profit ... then the use of the non-for-profit organization argument would have some merit.

If OVAS was placing an order for fish and then reselling them at the meeting to it's members it would be called fund-raising, and actually OVAS had done that in the past, bought fish and sold them at the giant auction.

Marc

Greg

OVAS is not the only breeder's club to have bought livestock and resold at a Giant Auction.  Clubs in other areas of interest frequently buy (some clubs even knowing that they would likely loose money at the auction) simply to have some excitement at their auctions.

Yet, this is probably a terrible idea for OVAS as there would be no agreement on breeds and the executive would be bombarded with complaints...
hmm... that is why they volunteer their time isn't it? :?

Greg