New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tues meeting

Started by james, March 30, 2005, 07:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

james

Hi
That was an very interesting meeting last night (info on the lung fish).And I finally was able to put  faces on  the people I talk to on this forum.
Nice meeting you!
Plus I got some super deals on some fish. Surprise that people did not bid more on them.Only problem now is that I need to set up some more tanks! lol!! I was at one time up yo 34 tanks running.
Now back up to 13. Crazy hobby!
Hope everyone enjoyed the meeting as well.
James
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

Julie

The lungfish talk wasn't short on oxygen.
It does seem to be an interesting enough fish, I think I will go and see the one in Kanata.
Thanks James, the pleco is very ambitious.

Julie

Nelson

Quote from: "james"Hi
That was an very interesting meeting last night (info on the lung fish).And I finally was able to put  faces on  the people I talk to on this forum.
Nice meeting you!
Plus I got some super deals on some fish. Surprise that people did not bid more on them.Only problem now is that I need to set up some more tanks! lol!! I was at one time up yo 34 tanks running.
Now back up to 13. Crazy hobby!
Hope everyone enjoyed the meeting as well.
James

I agree James but we really must do something that will identify members.  I see Julie was at the meeting and I would have liked to introduce myself.  The cost of a common style plastic name plate should be looked into.  I have one that uses magnets so there's no need to pin the nameplate on your clothing. Possibly OVAS can fund the nameplate and the owner can pay for engraving, or vice versa.

Julie

Good morning Nelson, I realized it was you when you made a bid.
Next time we will have a little chit chat.
Nice meeting you Jennifer, and James.
Someone was sitting almost beside me that purchased some little worms but I'm not sure who it was.

Julie

artw

I think the Hello my name is so and so stickers would work well.

Julie

Yes but Art we know your name.  :wink:

Nelson

Quote from: "artw"I think the Hello my name is so and so stickers would work well.
Hi Art, I agree name stickers should be available for visitors or potential members but regular members should have a permanent nameplate that is also indicative of they're membership.  The year the member joined could also be encorporated under his/her name - could possibly speak to experience etc.  

I would like to edit my comments by requesting that this suggestion be placed on the next executive meeting agenda for consideration.

Marc

Quote from: "Nelson"
Quote from: "artw"I think the Hello my name is so and so stickers would work well.
Hi Art, I agree name stickers should be available for visitors or potential members but regular members should have a permanent nameplate that is also indicative of they're membership.  The year the member joined could also be encorporated under his/her name - could possibly speak to experience etc.  

I would like to edit my comments by requesting that this suggestion be placed on the next executive meeting agenda for consideration.

Nelson, I like the idea also.  We'll have to investigate costs.

I have heard that this idea was tried in the past and the problem was that after a few months many people would forget their name tag at home or just plain not wear it.

Still, I think it may be worth another try.

Marc

Nelson

Quote from: "Marc"
Quote from: "Nelson"

Nelson, I like the idea also.  We'll have to investigate costs.

I have heard that this idea was tried in the past and the problem was that after a few months many people would forget their name tag at home or just plain not wear it.

Still, I think it may be worth another try.

Marc

As you well know, in any structured organization the executive introduces changes for the general benefit of its members...whether those changes are followed religiously is beyond control.  There is a real possibility that a few will forget or not bother to wear the name tag but that shouldn't deter the executive from continuing in its leadership role by taking this progressive step.  My respectful opinion Marc :)

Marc

To present this idea to the executive I would have a greater chance of success if I could tell then how the name tags would cost.

Anyone know of a local place to get name tags?

Underwater

Badges Plus    (613) 592-6198

Marc

Quote from: "Undawada"Badges Plus    (613) 592-6198

Have you bought anything from them?

Underwater

I haven't, I got the number from the back of the name badge I use at work  :D

I work at Carleton, btw.

artw

can it be that physically challenging to make our own?  a pin, some plastic, and some macktack or letraset or something.
dont these newfangled computer thangs print on transfer paper of sort?

Nelson

Quote from: "artw"can it be that physically challenging to make our own?  a pin, some plastic, and some macktack or letraset or something.
dont these newfangled computer thangs print on transfer paper of sort?

A name badge identifying the wearer as a member of OVAS would be a good way of promoting our organization at other aquarium/fish related functions, such as the Montreal auction for example.

A name badge made up of  "a pin, some plastic, and some macktack or letraset or something" would not convey a very professional image or be representative of the very successful organization that we are, in my opinion.

Marc

There are name badge kits which can be purchased which may be give a satisfactory result.  These usually consist of a badge holder and cards to print on.

I checked at staples.ca and there is a wide variety of kits available but the website doesn't give enough details to be able to tell what's really in each kit.

I have to agree with Nelson that a name badge made up of "a pin, some plastic, and some macktack or letraset or something" may not be satisfactory.

ottawadiscus

If we are planning to wear the badge for other aquarium/fish related function then we can order some t-shirts with  OVAS logo. If we order in a large scale then it will cost less than $15.00.

Loyed
"A man with hobbies never has time to waste" B.P

Nelson

Quote from: "ottawadiscus"If we are planning to wear the badge for other aquarium/fish related function then we can order some t-shirts with  OVAS logo. If we order in a large scale then it will cost less than $15.00.

Loyed

Now we're talking :D

mseguin

I could probably do something throguh work. We do group orders for hockey teams or businesses, and we could get something at wholesale cost plus the cost of simple silk screening.

dpatte

i would wear a badge, but i certainly dont need another shirt . dont you think we would all llook silly at a meeting in the same t?

I vote for badges. Perhaps you can get a cheap one when you get your membership, and have the option to buy a nicer one. Executives - for their efforts should get the nicer one free.