New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Frag Swap?

Started by groan, January 05, 2009, 03:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groan

Not sure if this has been bandied about or not, but is anyone interested in starting up a monthly or quarterly frag swap?

What I had in mind was that at a given date/location (maybe someone can rent thier party room at thier condo/apartment) and a bunch of us get together and set up on tables the frags we have available.

If you are interested you make your offer (with the frags you bring) and agree to a trade. No money is exchanged, just a "i need that, do you need this?" frag swap.

I thought of this when Roxy and I were trading frags and though i wouldnt call the swap even in a $ amount, it was perfect for both of us.

Any thoughts or ideas? anyone have a location we could use?

Could be fun, or a complete disaster but we should give it a try!
Maybe we can get some sponsors involved and have a door prize or 10 ;)

Discuss...

xiaan

I would be in for something like that. I am starting to accumulate several frags in my frag tank that I would like to swap for something different.

Rudall

I would certainly be up for that.  I have been trying very unsuccessfully to trade frags, but usually no one likes to travel to much.  Or, I have given, but not recieved yet.

The disadvantage of just bringing a bunch of stuff somewhere to trade is that they usually look like crap after being handled, rattled about in a bag, etc.,  so people may be a little turned off unless you came with nice pictures showing what they really look like.  This could cause a problem with some folks that don't have cameras, printers, etc.

I usually buy a piece because I like the look of it.

My tanks are pretty full and you are right, the monetary exchange would not always work out, but I find variety would make it worthwhile.

My 2 cents.

Julie

Gotta agree ; they don't look too great -mushy in a bag; but if you are familiar with the person trading you could take their word for condition/size etc....
We could set up trades at the meetings if that is most convenient for everyone.

Zzippper

Perhaps if each 'mushy bag' were accompanied with a picture of the actual frag?
Needless to say - I am interested in this as well.

Z

kennyman

When Jackie was on the committee I talked with her about doing this at the auctions. That was back when the number of members in SW was much smaller.

The general auction is no place for the SW stuff, but I think an organised swap would have made it work. I didn't have the opportunity to pursue it though.

Severum

This is a good idea. I'm in. :)
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

groan

Part of my thought was the whole photo thing. if we gave people enough time they could hunt down a camera or borrow someone with one to take pics, OR they could (being honest) find pics on the web of womehting that looked like what they have to trade.
in any rate, i have traded for many frags sight-unseen and have not been unhappy.

keep the thoughts coming. I'd be happy to work with someone in setting this up as being on the frag-swap comittee (hehe).
many people here are not a member (yet) so meetings are not the best time, besides, i'd prefer this take place on a weekend when availablilty is not so much as an issue.

groan

I just had an anonymous suggestion tht sounds great.
This allows those who are 'frag poor' (not much to trade with but still want to take part)

"a "Par" value for things.  Like Mushrooms are 1, Ricordea 2, Acro/Monti are 3 and so forth.  You could set the Par per piece as the 'leader' of said swap, or let people assign their own Par.

People can trade back and forth based on Par values, or pay cash at, let's say, 4 or 5 bucks a Par point.

Or let people just set 'negotiable' prices and not allow commercial sellers to attend."

I think this is a great idea and as a frag-poor person myself, I'd love to see this happen.

This swap would be open to anyone, but the 'par' needs to be fair and on 'par' with everyone.

anyways, please discuss further, I will compile some ideas and see if we can come up with a good model.

has anyone ever doen one before? please PM me.

audioslave_36

I like the sound of this ! I'm just gettin into salt so I guess that makes me Frag poverty stricken but I would be interested in attending, buying and becoming a frag swapper.

Zzippper

Quote from: groan on January 05, 2009, 07:20:44 PM
....(being honest) find pics on the web of somehting that looked like what they have to trade.

This sounds good in theory... but 100% honesty is like common sense - not all that common. Too much room for individual interpretation in my opinion.

Quote from: groan on January 05, 2009, 07:20:44 PM
..."a "Par" value for things.  Like Mushrooms are 1, Ricordea 2, Acro/Monti are 3 and so forth.  You could set the Par per piece as the 'leader' of said swap, or let people assign their own Par.

People can trade back and forth based on Par values, or pay cash at, let's say, 4 or 5 bucks a Par point.

Or let people just set 'negotiable' prices and not allow commercial sellers to attend."

I think we are getting into some very grey areas here. I refer specifically to:
- letting people assign their own Par
- paying cash at, let's say, 4 or 5 bucks a Par point.
- letting people just set 'negotiable' prices

For this to work - I think it literally needs to be a frap swap with pictures of the actual frags (as opposed to pics from the web that look similar).
A Par system is a good idea - but I think it needs to be set well in advance and as universal as possible

Z

Hookup

Great Idea.  Maybe next time for me, I'm frag poor, but I would love the opportunity to meet some of you in person and just check out the wares.

For my 2cents, photos of the parent colony would be nice.. but if you tell me its a pink milli, well that's enuf for me... so this is where photos from the web would suffice.  Also, what colors up in one persons tank might not in someone elses.  Lights, nutrients, and a host of other factors will affect coral color.   

In fly tying (for fly fishing) we hold swaps, where each person brings enough flies for everyone at the meet,  you come with 10 flies and leave with 10 flies,  However, you leave with 10 different ones...   Anyhow back to the frag swap, maybe it would be possible to work a system out where if you bring x frags, you leave with x frags through some sort of random draw.  The frag-poor can still participate and pickup new stuff, the frag-rich can also bring in frags and get new stuff....

Just a thought... haven't thought thru the details so maybe it doesn't work.

nissannx

I too have been thinking about this. i know its tough. when i have frags for sale i try to get swaps first so i get new coral in my tank. Ive sold maybe 20 pieces and have received less then 5 pieces as swaps. I think you need an idea of whats available first. like if we all showed up with gsp then that wouldn't work. i like the idea if you bring 5 you leave with 5. bring 1 leave with 1

groan

Hookup, this isn't going to happen overnight. I'm jsut throwing the idea out there now. I expect this to be a spring event.

As for a swap only, I prefer the idea of that, but in all practicality, i expect cash could be allowed, the problem with that is that it can cause trouble. Money dirties the water. hehe

My opinion is that each person knows what thier frag is worth. others should know that as well going into this, but we all need to remember that we are not walkign into a shop to shop, this is like minded people getting rid of excess lookning for somethign new, so if i had an acan to trade for a big rock of zoos and i was happy with that because it was somethign that i didnt have before, then both parties win.

I am starting to think putting a value on a frag may be going the wrong direction.

I like your mushrooms but i disagree that they are worth 4 points, i saw you eyeying my candycane and i think this is a fair trade, Done.

see?

Hookup

I like your idea and in a perfect world it would be best.  I'm pretty sure if we all show up with that mind-set, or similar we could have some fun, after all the idea is to have fun right?  Get some new items for some frags... keep it simple, swap what you want or dont.

Ground rules would have to be along the line of;
rule #1 no nagging... oh common, i really like that acan groan, common, you need another green mushroom... ill give you two for it, it's all i have.. common, be a pal... common please....

rule #2 - go read rule #1

Shrimpy

Great idea Groan. Count me in  :) (although I'm frag poor as well)  :P LOL!

stardrop

I'm in for this.  My zoa is fragged into about 4 pieces...that's all I have  :'(
I"m more than willing to get in on this though.  Keep us informed please!

fishdaddy

this sounds like a M.A.S.O meting in the near future

groan

my idea is to keep this separate from any meetings, though discussion on the topic is great in any venue so please do bring it up!

Another idea i had was that if you were going to supply many frags (to constitute a table ot part thereof) that you could set up a sign of frags you have and are interested in. this would allow people to know at a glance whats what.

Hookup, i think you hit it on the head. this is to have fun, and not to over-complicate things.

bitterman

Good idea.. what about those starting tanks and don't have anything to trade yet?

kennyman

Quote from: groan on January 06, 2009, 07:11:09 AM
my idea is to keep this separate from any meetings, though discussion on the topic is great in any venue so please do bring it up!

Another idea i had was that if you were going to supply many frags (to constitute a table ot part thereof) that you could set up a sign of frags you have and are interested in. this would allow people to know at a glance whats what.

Hookup, i think you hit it on the head. this is to have fun, and not to over-complicate things.

Its a great idea Groan and a good one for the reef community of the Greater Ottawa area. It does overlap the two clubs, Ovas and the old MASO/AC to some degree but I believe both have proved ineffective at giving a "regularly accessible" and "no strings attached" environment for reefers to swap frags.

The points system for frag types is pretty cool but I don't think it will work. Too much variance on number of heads and color types to even do it by species type. You would think most of us know what we we want for what we got.

groan

Agreed Kenny. KIS for this one and if we need to tweak it for the next one, we will.

Bruce, I think you will find that some people will accept cash. this will set up a showcase of frags for people. sort of a garage sale/swap of frags. That way it's open to all.

I am going to enquire with my brother wo lives in a co-op that has a partyroom and see if he would be able to hold it for events not where he is not involved.

keep up the discussion, I wil plan to do this in the spring to give everyone ample time to amass their collection of frags and to get pieces fragged and established.

RoxyDog

Quote from: kennyman on January 05, 2009, 06:10:25 PM
The general auction is no place for the SW stuff, but I think an organised swap would have made it work.
I disagree. :)  I think frags of a lot of corals are very hardy and could easily be brought to the auction.  It'd be a good idea to put them in a plastic container or a glass bottle instead of a bag perhaps, but they'd be fine.

Quote from: Hookup on January 05, 2009, 08:17:04 PM
Great Idea.  Maybe next time for me, I'm frag poor, but I would love the opportunity to meet some of you in person and just check out the wares.
Why not come to an OVAS meeting?   :P

Anyway...Groan and I talked about this, and I've also talked about something like this with Redbelly, not sure if anything is in the works with him?  Paaaaaaat?!
This is definitely a great idea, swapping and buying frags is my first choice for doing "business" with my reef.  8)  It's win-win!
I'm sure we could set up something easy and informal to start and then tweak it from there.  Even if this doesn't get set up, I'd still like to encourage people to set up individual frag swaps by themselves, or bring them to OVAS meetings.

Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

groan

oh it will get set up. i may not have much to offer but with the amount of reefers we have now this will be a big success. id encourage retailers to come to to get rid of thier little stuff people wont pay retail price for (snapped off sps anyone?)

walkytalky

I would love to be part of this. I don't have a lot of frags. I have just started a sw tank. :D

walkytalky

I think we should try and stay central( downtown) area. Somewhere that we all could get to easily.
Keep me posted. pls ::)

groan

good point but as this is not being covered by a club or association I am looking for somewhere cheap (free). i have an email out to my bro and its a big enough room for this and is only 20 mins from Orleans so it is 'central' but that;s not to say that something else won't materialize.

I'll keep this info current as it comes up, keep the ideas coming!
this is great input!

Tsukiyomi-sakura

I don't really have many frags to swap but I would buy some :)

Hookup

Quote from: RoxyDog on January 06, 2009, 09:56:18 AM

Why not come to an OVAS meeting?   :P

Well said Roxydog, well said.  Maybe I will just have to attend a freshwater event...  ;)

rockgarden

Here comes the cold water guy LOL. :-[ :'(

I normally buy frags or small colonies privately or from retail.  Generally, I like to see that they are healthy or opening up properly before parting with my cash.  NO guarantee that they will survive the transition over to my water chemistry but at least I like to see that they are alive and well before being moved. 

The idea of bringing SW items to the regular OVAS meetings has come up a number of times and, as far as I know, I am the only one who has brought any SW related livestock to a club mini auction. I definitely haven't been to all of the club meetings so there may have been others who brought SW items to meetings I haven't attended.  JVV and a few others have gone home happy with my items from OVAS auctions because no one else was there to bid for the SW items at the time.  I didn't mind them getting GREAT deals BUT unless there are more than just one or two interested SW individuals at the meeting (with money to bid and a willingness to put their hands in the air!!!), then the OVAS auction is not the place to be trying to sell or display SW livestock. As others have stated, it is tough to really display a slimy leather frag or BTA in the mini-auction venue and zoanthids rarely open up when you want them to. The Calfo event had a purely SW focus and a higher percentage and number of SW folks and the auction of the frags at that event was lively.  Therefore, it is possible that having frags or other SW items for auction at OVAS meetings which are focused on SW topics might work but otherwise probably not consistent enough to warrant the effort and concern.

MASO meetings that I have attended have all included an opportunity for frag swapping - usually more buyers than frags so often a lively event.  However, these events were in the homes of SW enthusiasts who, in my experience, always had heated water baths set up where the frag bags could be floated for the two hours or so that they were there.  Under those circumstances and a bit of lighting, most frags would at least show signs of life before being traded or auctioned.  Generally some form of auctioning format seemed to work better than straight trades.  Normal Cdn currency seemed to work fine.  LFS folks who attended often brought a few items that were pre-sold or a few items that they would offer at a significant discount to retail price which was nice.  I haven't been able to attend a MASO meeting in over a year so things may have changed. Don't hold that against me!!!

Ron

RossW

I am totally interested in this... now to learn how to frag my zoa's  ???

groan

good points rock-garden, but since we probably wont have the luxury of holding a 4+ hour event i dont see it being a possibility, but maybe in future events. after the first one we can tweak it to be better next time.

you and me both, Ross!

redbelly

Well if people are willing to attend the ovas meeting to trade sw stock, I would be willing to build a sw holding tank that could easyli be drained and filled for the meeting. The main prupose of the tank would be keep the frags warm.

I would also be willing to host a frag swap at my place over coffee on sunday mornings or something. Although I think doing it at the OVAS meeting could draw more people in.

Although I do like the idea of a direct frag swap where everyone bring a pieces and leaves with one, the problem in my eyes is that I personally would not be happy receiving a pieces of GSP for say a piece of blue milli that I would bring.
Maybe a way arounf this is a softies, lps, sps category. If you bring a softie you trade for softies, lps for lps and sps for sps.

Otherwise I would have to say the best thing to do would be what everyone always does for MASO. You bring your frag in a bag, write the $ amount that you are looking for on the bag and if someone else there has a frag that you want of a similar $ amount then you can decide to trade with them. Otherwise it is for sale for the people that do not yet have frags.

NewReef

Hey all!

Im set up a new reef tank and dont have much in there right now. I'd be interested in attending a frag meet.

Thx Ben

RossW

Quote from: redbelly on January 07, 2009, 09:32:52 AM
Although I do like the idea of a direct frag swap where everyone bring a pieces and leaves with one, the problem in my eyes is that I personally would not be happy receiving a pieces of GSP for say a piece of blue milli that I would bring.
Maybe a way arounf this is a softies, lps, sps category. If you bring a softie you trade for softies, lps for lps and sps for sps.

I had assumed it was up to the two parties to agree, otherwise no deal.  There are no forced trades.  If I bring n frags and there is nothing I like, I should be able to go home with the same n frags I arrived with.

If someone REALLY wanted GSP they might be willing to trade a milli for it  :D

redbelly

lol, yeah thats true.

And good point, you can leave what you came with.

I just like the idea of having the different sections of trading so that it would encourage everyone in the hobby to come out, not just people with fast growing softies.

RossW

Quote from: redbelly on January 07, 2009, 01:07:28 PM
I just like the idea of having the different sections of trading so that it would encourage everyone in the hobby to come out, not just people with fast growing softies.

FYI... depending on timing, I am hoping to bring some pink pocillopora.

groan

I really want to keep this simple. I dont think we need to set dollar amounts, if the two parties are happy with the trade then its a deal, if someone wants to buy a piece then the two parties can agree on a price.

I dont want to set too many ground rules except that if someone tells you that they are not interestedin a deal, don't hassle that person or risk being ejected from the premises by the now voluntold bouncer, Bruce. ;)

Oh and Pat, thanks for the offer of your place, but i just think it may be too small. I forsee alot of people and potentially some with lots of frags.

I'm sure we can set up a couple 10 gallon tanks for people to float thier bags in with a heater. or for that matter we could set up a small tank with just salt water, heater and a ph. and an actinic light or 2. I have a 10 gallon actinic.
for a couple hours i dont think we sould need any LR,

Hookup

I think you would want to have your holding tank(s) just with water, tap water.  The idea would be to keep the water at the right temp to keep the frag-bags at the right temp, not to put your frags into the tank, amiright?

I think the issue with the swap comes to valuing the frags or not.  If they are not valued, then if I bring 10 pieces, I want 10 pieces and not 10 pieces of GSP etc..   frags have real value, and unless we account for it, people might get screwed, or will only bring cheap crap to test the waters...

Secondly, you really should consider categorizing the swap.  I have a mainly SPS tank and do not want any softies and very few LPS for that matter...

Finally, having a $$ on the item allows everyone to participate, not just people with frags.

saltynewb

I dont know why you would need categories. If you dont want to trade an SPS frag for some Zoo's then dont trade.

If I bring a frag and someone would like to purchase it, instead of trading, I dont know why it would be so difficult to come up with a reasonable price for the item. If someone asks for a ludicrious amount for my frag, then dont buy it!

I would think that bartering would be all a part of the fun!

Just my thoughts - but sometimes, the more rules, the less fun!

Cbellehumeur

Love the idea!! I only have mushroom and would love some more frags...or different coloured mushrooms

groan

it's entirely up to you in the end.
if you want some zoos and have a spare acan, then you would be happy and the person trading would be happy. what matter is is of anyone else?

what i'm trying to say is lets try to make this as 1 on 1 as possible. if joe has a frag and bill wants it, and bill has somethign that joe wants, what diff is it that the frag may be worth 50 compared to 20 for the other one...it has nothing to do with fairness, it has to do with the barter system.
anyways, were getting into semantics. if you want to sell a xenia frag for $50 it's up to you, but if joe wants to sell a frag of aussie acan for $10, good for him!

Hookup

Ok, guess the categorizing thing is just for getting setup... If 100% of ppl are brining only one type of coral to the swap i'd want to know ahead of time.  I can probably figure out what's what at the swap.. haha...

Less rules is win.  I like the discussion, but would be happy with just bring your frags and showup, work out the details in real-time at the swap.

This isn't an opportunity to go rare-coral collecting, but to go frag-swapping.. amiright?

Hookup

Quote from: groan on January 07, 2009, 03:40:33 PM
if joe wants to sell a frag of aussie acan for $10, good for him!

I really hope Joe shows up!  (some humor was needed in this thread)

saltynewb

Quote from: Hookup on January 07, 2009, 03:42:20 PM
I really hope Joe shows up!  (some humor was needed in this thread)

No time for humour!!

LETS START THE SWAP!

;D

Julie

Ok I'll post my list:  frogspawn(green and pink/white) and red mushrooms by the dozen. :P

Adam

I also agree that too many rules wouldn't make this any fun. 

I think a few guidelines should definitely be followed:
1) Take a photo of your frag or find one online of the same type and put it on the bag. 
2) If you don't like the trade, don't trade. Period.
3) If you know generally how much your frag is worth, then ask that price.  No one wants to buy it, then take it home.
4) Trade equally.  If I think 2 Fire and Ice are worth 20 of your green polyps, and you do too, that's great.  Both go home happy.
5) If you don't have any frags, come out anyways.  People should have valued their frags already and you can buy it for that price.  You can also try to bargain, but if either party doesn't like it, walk away.

In the end, it comes out to be a transaction between two parties.  If both agree on the terms, then it works.  If one party doesn't like it, walk away.  End of story...
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

groan

That's about it Adam.
I was going to do the sam but you beat me to it. Thanks. I'd say taht is the 'ground rules' for the upcoming swap.
I'm hoping to do it in early spring. I just need to find a location. Like i said, i'm hoping for a small party room in an apartment of condo or whatever that supplies tables. If you know of such a place please let me know and we can try to work it out.

Julie

This may sound silly and there wouldn't be any place to show frags; but if we had an idea in advance we could meet at a tim hortons for a coffee and a swap.

groan

given the amount of people that are showing intrest and tbe views of this thread i am guessing we'd have too many for a timmys.  i'll keep looking around for a room for it. i thhink it would be best.

redbelly

Why dont we do the swap at the ovas meeting?

We are much less constrained on space for people, table space for frag tanks, power for a heater if needed, Warm water readily available to fill frag tanks.

Plus free coffe and cookies
Plus you can check out the guest speaker (which have been really good and very applicable to sw)

Plus if we have more sw people showing up at these meeting we will end up with more sw lectures!!!

If we are trying to keep this simple this is by far the way to go. And we can start at the next meeting!

bitterman

Quote from: redbelly on January 08, 2009, 11:13:20 AM
Why dont we do the swap at the ovas meeting?

I think this is a great idea!!!!!!

Bruce

redbelly

Quote from: RossW on January 07, 2009, 01:12:53 PM
FYI... depending on timing, I am hoping to bring some pink pocillopora.

I would like a piece of pocillipora ross!

I can bring:
Pink millipora (all milli can be single branch or colony starters)
blue millipora
green and red millipora
green stag colony starters
purple tip stag colony starters
Purple tip acro
red danae
rainbow montipora (looking for blue, superman, sunrise, sunset)
Looking for various sps: no monti (except above), no browns.

Toad stool
Kenya tree
finger leather
green melon muchrooms (to trade for other color mushrooms)
Looking for: other leathers
Not looking: for GSP, colt

walkytalky

What about the YW/YMCA (downtown) for a central place to meet?
Just an idea. ;)

groan

i cant make meetings. i'd like to make it on a weekend.
Possability Walky, I want to find something that wont cost, if possible.

So we have the rules, I know i want it in the spring, and on a weekend.
the only thing i need is a location.

I know it makes sense to hold it at a meet (i suppose even non members can attend) but the only thing is that the meetings are for fresh and salt alike, i dont want to take over a meeting when it should be a separate event.

charlie

If i may , i will weigh in my thoughts on this thread.
It is my belief that a swap event might not be the best thing for club meets, reason is the clubs mini auction ( my understanding) is a fundraiser, that said i would encourage folks to bring their frags to the meetings for the auction & place a minmum bid on them, the club can probably alternate between 1 freshwater item & 1 saltwater item( 2 separate tables fresh & salt), of course this will still incorporate Pat`s offer to build & set up of holding tanks for the frags & folks posting what they are taking to the auction.

The club welcomes even non members to attend , but encourages you to join after 2 free meetings , as Pat said free coffee & cookies, a nice warm room, tons of friendly aquatic hobbyist& good friends to be made , not to mention interesting presentations that cover various aspects of the Aquatic hobby.
Thses are my personal thoughts & does not reflect anything from the club or executive body.

groan

Thanks Charlie.
I think that I'll organize this separate of the OVAS body. Again no disrespec to OVASers, but I dont feel this needs to involve the BODY, as it were.

I wont be advertising this anywhere else, not to not include them, but just because i want to get a feel for the event before I expand.
This is somethign new for me, organizing an event like this, but i want to give back in my own way.

I hope everyone understands where im coming from with this, it's just something i want to do.

walkytalky

I do. And I think its great.
And I have another thought.
If you want to have it in the spring/summer time why not just have it outside at some picnic spot. In the afternoon. Of course it would have to be "weather condition apply".
Don't have to worry about costs. And if its sunny well the coral will get natural warmth and lighting.

groan

Hehe, that's true.
I'd feel safer indoors where we have a sure thing. With the number of 30 gallon tanks floating around unused in peoples basements i'm sure we could borrow one for the day.

Sue

On the link below there's a video FAAS put together to help (fish) clubs put together a swap meet. There maybe something on there you can use. Swap meets can be a fun alternative to always holding auctions.

http://www.faas.info/presos_practices/swap_meet.html

groan

Thanks Sue,
It looks a little more over-the-top than what I am planning but i'm sure I will get some ideas.

redbelly

So you want to hold a MASO but you dont want to call it MASO?

For those of you that dont know what MASO is, its when a bunch of us hobbiests get together and talk fish and swap frags. Its completely informal and is held at random when we can find a location in which to hold the meet. How would this meet differ?

Now there is nothing to stop you from trying to organise a regular MASO meeting but I do think it should be posted on OVAS and AC.

darkphreak

Kewl a MASO! We'll bring some food goodies... looking for some zoa's for my 150g

groan

ive never looked into MASO so know nothing about it.
this meant to be informal and i expect that reef talk will take place so call it what you want i guess.
i wasnt trying to tie to any affiliation because im not affiliated.
i'll look up the maso info but mixing ovas and ac people inthe same room?!
isnt that dangerous
kidding!!

anyways, glad you stopped by dark.
hope i can make this a decent event that people enjoy.

groupie02

MASO is the Marine Aquarium Society of Ottawa. It's just a bunch of people that get together and talk marine stuff (and other things). There is no affiliation here. Everyone is welcome to show up. It is very informal. If you organize a frag swap, and you want people to show up, you should advertise it where people hang out. That's both AC and OVAS.

Just my 2 cents

groan

OK, i get it.
I have nothing against AC, I just wanted to offer it to my home as a beta test first, but I'm cool with having more come. Better choice after all!

My brother is checking with his co-op to see about using the party room. it will be big enough for many tables. If that doesnt work out my parents also have one.
I am confident this will work out.

Once i have everything in place I'll start planning and post info...Maybe I'll start a new site...
LOL just what i need, another website.

walkytalky

so whats up.
??? How are things looking for this frag swap?

groan

I'm still planning on it, but it will be in the spring. I was scoping out intrest at first and will secure a place to hold it closer to then.
I want this to be a purley hobbiest frag swap so no retailers allowed unless they are willing to swap frags of thier own, or little peices that normally would not sell.

I will still keep this as an unaffiliated swap, so there wont be any demo's, no hardware sales or vendors of any kind.

I may set up an info website to see if i can separate the intrest and i'll advertise the swap at a few local sites (here and RC) to maximixe attendance. I hppe to make this a yearly or twice a year event, we'll see depending on how it turns out.

Hookup

Well, maybe next fall we can setup a swap where we do have retailers, hardware demos, sales, vendors as well as a frag-swap?  Kind of like a mini-Ottawa and area based Marine tradeshow/frag-swap...  Let's get your first idea on the books and complete though before working too much on the next one... amiright?

groan

sounds good.
I like the idea of having a little tradeshow/frag swap.

groan

OK, I've secured a locale.
I will be working out the details and as I said above, I may set up a separate info site/forum to consolidate the information. That way people wont have to wade through this thread.

Stay tuned, Spring is approaching!

RossW

Awesome!

Do you have a couple tentative dates you want share?

groan

Nothing yet, perhaps April/May sometime. Give me some time to nail down some details and time for others to gather what they want to swap.

I'll post dates as soon as I know when I can get the room.

RossW

groan

Due to stuff happening in my life i've been unable to work on this.
I have a location secured but just need to give a date and work out details.
I may have to push this to june or july.
Sorry for the delay on this! I still want to do it!
If anyone is interested in helping let me know!

RossW

I can totally understand, life happens to all of us.

What kind of help do you need?  I might be able to lend a hand.

Quote from: groan on April 27, 2009, 08:18:57 PM
Due to stuff happening in my life i've been unable to work on this.
I have a location secured but just need to give a date and work out details.
I may have to push this to june or july.
Sorry for the delay on this! I still want to do it!
If anyone is interested in helping let me know!