New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

MacroAlgae Tank

Started by HappyGuppy, June 07, 2011, 01:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyGuppy

Hi everyone,
Due to JetJumper's nagging (J.K. :)  to make pictures I have *finally* gotten around to taking a picture of one of my tanks.  I have more pictures coming of my other tanks.

This one is of my macroalgae grow out tank (June 7, 2011):
http://ovas.ca/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=4701

It is a small 10g that I've used to encourage macroalgae growth in, aka heavily dosed with nutrients.  It has over 20 kinds of macros, which I'll compile a list of someday, however most of the macros you don't really see in the above photo, as most are too small.  It has been empty of fish for a while but a few days ago I put back in my endlers and balloon mollies, not feeding them they've already devoured over half of the microalgae that also grew.  Those mollies sure are worthy of their reputation of cleaning saltwater tanks!

My plan is next make a larger 20g (long) tank filled with macros, and someday maybe even a 55g with macros.  I also have a tank packed with corals, and though they are certainly cool I find myself really enjoying the macros.

BTW, getting macros in Canada is surprisingly difficult.  It is a very niche area of the hobby.  Americans are fortunate to have far easier access to these incredible plants.  I did luck out with a few macros locally, and also grew out some on liverock, but a large portion came via mail.  Still awaiting more macros, and will probably quit gathering once I cross 30 varieties, though I still have 5 or 6 on my wish list.

Why did I start a macro tank?  I have loved freshwater planted tanks for years and I simply enjoy working with plants.  Now that I see how amazingly cool marine "plants" look (drastically different than freshwater plants) I am simply hooked.  I have closed down most of my freshwater tanks, am working on closing a 20g tank currently (to make into macro tank) and am just keeping a tiny 5g tank freshwater just because I am not mentally ready to get rid of all my freshwater stuff, though obviously in such a small tank most of my plant varieties will be gone.

I simply LOVE macros!!!